Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dremel my dogs' nails. It is easy and it is difficult to quick them so safer for me. In foster care I know that they clipped Muprhy's nails. So, I thought I would try that since he should be used to it. He was happily laying on me when I pulled them out. The second that the clippers touched his nail he FREAKED out! Wiggling and fighting and in complete panic mode. Over a couple of days I was lucky to get a couple of them clipped and of course we had a little party with lots of treats. When I was at my parents house last week recovering from knee surgery we decided to try the dremel. I held him in my lap, my mom fed him chicken and my dad quickly dremeled. He got a treat after every toe. He hardly fought at all. Got him home and tried doing it last night. He absolutely flipped out. I didn't even have it near is toe. I've gone back a step and just started treating him with it near him. Then once he'd walk to it, I turned it on and treated him for being near it on. Finally, today I was able to touch his paw with it off and treat like crazy when he didn't go into freaked out puppy mode. Any suggestions? I've never had a dog freak out so much. It worries me because he totally shuts down. I have to get his nails cut soon, they are getting very long.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I had the same problem with Mya. She hated the dremel though and will not go near it and she is almost 3 years old. I just give her lots of treats and praise and usually only get a few done at a time while she is sitting watching tv with me and stuff like that. I still can't get them all done at once usually.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Zoe is the same way. It's a two person job, I hold her (she's only 50 pounds) and feed treats and sooth her while my husband trims with the dremel, we do one foot at a time. Our big guy Max just needs me to sit on the floor with his head in my lap and rub his ears and we can usually get the entire job done. Good thing since he's over 80 pounds.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How did you get him there? I don't have anyone here to help me so I have to figure out a way for him to tolerate it at least!

·
Premium Member
563 Posts
I have found that the dremel job goes better if I make sure and hold the base of the nail firmly between finger and thumb. It seems to absorb the vibration much better. If I try to hold his toe he doesn't like it at all.

The most nails I have seen anyone able to do with clippers is five and that includes a professional with proper equipment. Many have tried.....many denied.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lol. I havent even been able to get it close enough to hold a paw. I turned it on and he freaked and I had to drop it to keep him from jumping off of the couch! He is a strong, slippery little bugger

·
Registered
178 Posts
Oliver has been pretty good about this. Only thing I do is love him up good first and then make sure I have the dermal on real low at first . Then slowly bump it up to trim his nails.
I talk with him the whole time. I tried singing but the wife said it was cruel and unusual punishment...:cry:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lol. That is too funny. Dogs don't judge :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Max has always been easy, don't know why. It is much easier with the dremel because they don't have to hold still for clipping and then even longer for filing, well worth the purchase price.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
I dremel my dogs' nails. It is easy and it is difficult to quick them so safer for me. In foster care I know that they clipped Muprhy's nails. So, I thought I would try that since he should be used to it. He was happily laying on me when I pulled them out. The second that the clippers touched his nail he FREAKED out! Wiggling and fighting and in complete panic mode. Over a couple of days I was lucky to get a couple of them clipped and of course we had a little party with lots of treats. When I was at my parents house last week recovering from knee surgery we decided to try the dremel. I held him in my lap, my mom fed him chicken and my dad quickly dremeled. He got a treat after every toe. He hardly fought at all. Got him home and tried doing it last night. He absolutely flipped out. I didn't even have it near is toe. I've gone back a step and just started treating him with it near him. Then once he'd walk to it, I turned it on and treated him for being near it on. Finally, today I was able to touch his paw with it off and treat like crazy when he didn't go into freaked out puppy mode. Any suggestions? I've never had a dog freak out so much. It worries me because he totally shuts down. I have to get his nails cut soon, they are getting very long.
You are doing exactly as you should and good for to recognize to take a step back...just keep at it with baby steps with lots of yummy treats and praise. I clip my boys nails but that was a long process, but we got there!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I wish he would keep them down. It has been so cold here he doesn't want to spend much time outside and I don't push it. We managed to clip 2 paws tonight while he was sleeping. I want to work on the dremel, but it might be a long process and I have to somehow get them down in the meantime. Other than this issue he is a very easy puppy.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think Murphy is playing me...he watched me do Tessa's with the dremel and was even trying to poke it with his nose. When I was done with her, he looked at it, I turned it on (not planning to use it on him) and he scattered. What a goofball!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so this is pathetic. I have resorted to sneaking the nail clipping in while he is sleeping. He is crashed on my lap and I clip a nail and he wakes and I look away as if I'm not doing anything. I really need to work on this. LOTS of paw touching in his future!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd love to be taking him for walks right now, but it has been brutally cold and he goes 3 legged withing minutes. The sidewalks are all covered with packed snow, so I don't think it would help much anyway. I am sure we can get through this he is just a stubborn little guy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts