Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a one year old boxer called Rocco, we noticed that’s he’s been quite dominant as a puppy for awhile
When he plays with another dog he just jumps on them and uses his body to try and pin them to the floor and dosent let them up. There is no blood or teeth it’s just growling but the others dogs don’t like it because my boxer won’t leave the other dogs alone or let them up when he has them pinned to the floor and this could cause a dog fight. He also does this behaviour on a walk when he passes another dog he goes into the ‘stalk position’ and dosent move its quite embarrassing because he won’t move untill another dog gets close and then he leaps up and the dogs run away because they get a fright, when he’s playing he always has to use his paws and try to pin other dogs to the floor too, I really need help how do I stop this behaviour or try to calm him down I try to use treats to take his mind of that situation but his mind is just so excited and fixated on the dogs he dosent take treats at that time.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Is he leashed when you encounter these other dogs? If not you have no control over him or his behavior. He apparently has not learned how to great other dogs he is still very young and you say he was very dominate as a puppy. I am glad you recognize this behavior could very well lead to a fight he just may run into another dog that is dominate as well. I would start with introducing him "on a leash" to a calm dog let them sniff noses maybe get that other person to take a calm walk together no running or jumping on the other dog just calm if he jumps on the other dog give a firm no correction and walk him away let him calm down and return to the other dog. Keep up until he eventually should get the idea. I would guess now he is reaching sexual maturity so he is trying to show his dominance. You can work this out its going to take time and some patience and maybe the help of a calm dog friend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is he leashed when you encounter these other dogs? If not you have no control over him or his behavior. He apparently has not learned how to great other dogs he is still very young and you say he was very dominate as a puppy. I am glad you recognize this behavior could very well lead to a fight he just may run into another dog that is dominate as well. I would start with introducing him "on a leash" to a calm dog let them sniff noses maybe get that other person to take a calm walk together no running or jumping on the other dog just calm if he jumps on the other dog give a firm no correction and walk him away let him calm down and return to the other dog. Keep up until he eventually should get the idea. I would guess now he is reaching sexual maturity so he is trying to show his dominance. You can work this out its going to take time and some patience and maybe the help of a calm dog friend.
We always have him on lead because it’s easier to get a hold of him when he starts doing this dominant behaviour, the only time we let him run around is on a 15 metre lead and we drop it on the floor and let him run around because if he sees another dog he’s just going to run up to them and if he does we can just stand on the lead so he dosent and start jumping all over them and that dog might not be friendly. My friend has a Caucasian shepherd that’s really calm and still he tries to dominate that. Maybe because it’s twice his size and he feels threatened so he feels like he has to dominate him before the Caucasian shepherd can dominate him. We are thinking of getting a head halter for his pulling and his stalking for others dogs so we can control his reactive pulling behaviour when he sees other dogs, we might take him to training classes too thanks for the reply tho we will be on the look out for a calm dog who he can play with!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
You are going to have to train him to ignore other dogs and stop him from getting to that excited state, which is all about timing and redirection. Once he is that excited you really can't do anything except physically pull him out of that situation. Tough to explain without a video of it or trying to write it. I think this is a situation where you need a good trainer who can show you exactly what to do and when to do it, because it really is all about corrections at the right time. To early and the dog doesn't understand what he is getting corrected for, to late and it won't matter once he is in his excited state.

Not sure what kind of set up you are using as far as your lead. Standard flat collar with a 6' lead? I personally liked using a slip lead during training. The way its properly set up, you have control of the head with minimal pressure. If you have control of the head, everything else follows. There is a slight learning curve, and a good trainer can help with that.

When you walk, is he out in front kind of pulling? Do you let him stop where he wants etc? I firmly believe a dog should be sort of in a heel position when walking. Either left or right side what ever you are comfortable with and slightly behind you. Also the dog doesn't get to stop sniff and go where he wants, basically leading the walk. When we walk, he follows me and we stop when I let him. When we do stop, there has to be eye contact from him and then I will give a command "free" which means he can go sniff or relieve himself. Basically all this was to train him that I lead the walk and its all at my direction. So when we do come into contact with a dog, person etc. he will always look at me for direction as to what to do. He doesn't get to make the choice. A structured walk is more about training then actual exercise.

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
His "Friend is a Caucasian shepherd??? LOL, well ... his friend's owner , is not to much worried, about his dog getting hurt in a "Dust Up," I must say. :)

Most likely his being able to get away with crap like with that dog?? Gives him a false sense of confidence??? The good new's, is that you are pretty head's up! And you at least recognize the "issue," now. :)

I have no idea how "they roll, where you are?? But in the State's ... your dog's current behavior, could land you our your dog in the ER! Cuz in "America," that are lot's of "Dog Owner's," that well ... just don't play with other's! Dog's like your's "Currently," is now. Would be "No Issue," for me! Cuz he would "Not," be able to get close to my dog's!

As "No Dog I do not know??" Get's close enough to "My Dog's To Do Them Harm!" If a dog want's to "meet/greet," my dog's?? He has to get by "Me, First!" ... "I don't know you?? I don't know your dog?? Is how I roll?? I'll keep my "Distance," you keep your's is how "We roll." :)

So one has to fear, my dog's and my "Attitude," as it were was formed, "many year's ago by first Dog. A "Dog Aggressive," American Band Dawg!" 25%, Lab, 25% Bull Mastiff and 50% APBT. He was what I wanted and what I got. He luv'd people and Water to a fault ...sigh, but "other dog's ... not so much??

I had no idea?? He was so bad that he was the only dog ... I sought "Pro," for help with?? And he was pronounced as "Not Aggressive," but he was a "Dominate Male Dog!" Well "my thought's," OK then, no problem .... "No Dog Park's," and no "Meet and Greet, Dog On The Street Encounter's!" You keep your Distance, I"ll Keep My Mine."

I taught him to "Ignore Other Dog's," and that is what he/we did ... ever since! I have done that with "All My Dog's," ... ever since. And you ... "Keeping it real," as it were ... "God Help," the dog and owner, that even "Thought about putting a tooth on my Struddell!!! That would have been, Law Suit's and Law Enforcement for "Everybody!" Trust me on that! I don't need the "Hazel," so on a neighborhood walk ... "We will gladly, Step aside," and my "dog's won't Move or Make A Sound," as you go by! We are "Smoke!" Stranger's and there dog "never had an issue with my Dog's! If they can't control there dog's?? They would have an "Issue, with ME!"

And you know ... "Thankfully, in twenty some odd year's now, it's never been an "Issue??" And ... with this "kinda crap," and "Something ... I don't usually, say "but with "Bad Dog's on a walk," "Counter Measures," I am an "Expert!" In seventeen or eighteen some odd, "Dog's Gone Rough," encounter's, only one dog ever got by me and to me dog!! And that "Seriously Ticked Me OFF!!!" But most likely it was not a "situation," JQP, is likely to encounter???

And that took a combo of ..."That Dog," the right condition's ..uh total darkness (apparently people can't see n the dark) and over ruling your "WL GSD's," ... "Good Sense and early warning!" Yeah I missed up ... and "Rocky," got nipped in total "Pitch Black Darkness ...

His "Friend is a Caucasian shepherd??? LOL, well ... his friend's owner , is not to much worried, about his dog getting hurt in a "Dust Up," I must say. :)

Most likely his being able to get away with crap like with that dog?? Gives him a false sense of confidence??? The good new's, is that you are pretty head's up! And you at least recognize the "issue," now. :)

I have no idea how "they roll, where you are?? But in the State's ... your dog's current behavior, could land you our your dog in the ER! Cuz in "America," that are lot's of "Dog Owner's," that well ... just don't play with other's! Dog's like your's "Currently," is now. Would be "No Issue," for me! Cuz he would "Not," be able to get close to my dog's!

As "No Dog I do not know??" Get's close enough to "My Dog's To Do Them Harm!" If a dog want's to "meet/greet," my dog's?? He has to get by "Me, First!" ... "I don't know you?? I don't know your dog?? Is how I roll?? I'll keep my "Distance," you keep your's is how "We roll." :)

So one has to fear, my dog's and my "Attitude," as it were was formed, "many year's ago by first Dog. A "Dog Aggressive," American Band Dawg!" 25%, Lab, 25% Bull Mastiff and 50% APBT. He was what I wanted and what I got. He luv'd people and Water to a fault ...sigh, but "other dog's ... not so much??

I had no idea?? He was so bad that he was the only dog ... I sought "Pro," for help with?? And he was pronounced as "Not Aggressive," but he was a "Dominate Male Dog!" Well "my thought's," OK then, no problem .... "No Dog Park's," and no "Meet and Greet, Dog On The Street Encounter's!" You keep your Distance, I"ll Keep My Mine."

I taught him to "Ignore Other Dog's," and that is what he/we did ... ever since! I have done that with "All My Dog's," ... ever since. And you ... "Keeping it real," as it were ... "God Help," the dog and owner, that even "Thought about putting a tooth on my Struddell!!! That would have been, Law Suit's and Law Enforcement for "Everybody!" Trust me on that! I don't need the "Hazel," so on a neighborhood walk ... "We will gladly, Step aside," and my "dog's won't Move or Make A Sound," as you go by! We are "Smoke!" Stranger's and there dog "never had an issue with my Dog's! If they can't control there dog's?? They would have an "Issue, with ME!"

And you know ... "Thankfully, in twenty some odd year's now, it's never been an "Issue??" And ... with this "kinda crap," and "Something ... I don't usually, say "but with "Bad Dog's on a walk," "Counter Measures," I am an "Expert!" In seventeen or eighteen some odd, "Dog's Gone Rough," encounter's, only one dog ever got by me and to me dog!! And that "Seriously Ticked Me OFF!!!" But most likely it was not a "situation," JQP, is likely to encounter???

And that took a combo of ..."That Dog," the right condition's ... uh total darkness (apparently people can't see n the dark) and over ruling your "WL GSD's," ... "Good Sense and early warning!" Yeah I messed up ... and "Rocky," got nipped in total "Pitch Black Darkness ... and the dog that got to him??? Yeah ... another Wl GSD!!! An ex Military Wl GSD DDD. She went on task ... while I was "Distracted!" Rocky saw her in the "Dark?" But I did not???

Sigh he was right I was wrong, he got nipped and cried and at that point ... the other Wl GSD ... knew I now knew where "she was ... and got the hell out of Dodge!!" Now as these thing's go ... "No Big Deal???" But I was "PISSED!" My wife had to intercede and talk to the dog's owner's and explain what happened. Worked out fine ... I never met them.:)

OK then ... so "sigh," yet again another long post?? Aww well, as long time member's know ... That is Kinda how I roll??? I tend to think people don't know where they are going ,if they don't where they are?? And making that clearer ... takes "lot's of word's??"

But "Ultimately," as Matt did say ... "You do need to teach him to "ignore other dog's!" And as of yet ... we don't what you are doing that makes his behavior an issue now, in the first place???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts