Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Saw this today and thought it was interesting...Hadn't ever really thought about my pups donating.....

http://www.evbb.com/

it was posted on the breeders website, that we got baxter from. She also had this posted...thought it was interesting too!

"Boxers carry a unique universal blood type and are especially needed as blood donors."

didn't know if anyone else was aware of this!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I know Ringer does. :)

I just read their donation info page and they take a lot of blood.  The place Ringer donates only asks us to come twice a year and may call in earlier if an emergency arises.  Every three weeks to two months just seems crazy.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I never would of thought about donating doggie blood! Learn something new everyday.
Not to mention, my boyfriend is O- blood type and I told him about boxers being universal donors too and now he feels
even closer to Phoenix now...another reason for her to be daddy's girl more than she already is!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Where I go, they actually use a light sedative, draw the blood with a suction pump from the external jugular and then a reversal agent to take him out of his relaxed state.  Ringer acted pretty much normal afterward, though he may have slept a little better that night.  So, it didn't seem to hurt him at all.  He didn't react to any of the three needle sticks and it looked like a 14ga needle used to draw the blood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts