Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Niko hates to have his paws touched.  After I let him out, if it's been raining, I wipe their paws off.  Well he just won't let me.  He bites at my hands and gets all wiggely.  I know that some dogs are like that.  Is there a way to get him used to it so I can wipe off his paws?  Does anyone else have a dog like this?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I was told that when they're relaxing and sleepy on your lap to play with their paws and ears so they get use to you touching them.  That way when you go to clean them they don't mind.  Good luck!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Cutting Voltaire's nails is.....well i've given up :roll: ! Alicia's right, i often stroke & hold one of his paws when he's on my lap sleeping (the great lump :lol: ) - over time he's got used to that and lets me touch his paws as long as there isn't a nail clipper in sight. It's quite important to be able to hold their paws in case they ever get an injury there that needs attention. Be patient and he'll get used to it - good luck :D !

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
When Diesel was a pup I spent all our cuddle time holding his feet for this reason. I wanted him used to people touching him on his feet, so it'd be easier to cut his nails later on. I also took out the nail clippers all the time to tap it on his nails so he'd be used to it.
It was pointless, he pulls away when I try to cut his nails. lol He was fine as a pup, but now he hates it. /shrug
I guess it depends on the dog?

·
Registered
405 Posts
damn hassles of painting their nails...tehehehe....

Abby is pretty good about letting me dremel...cutting, she lets me do 2 or 3, then pulls away. Brady lets me fiddle with his feet when he's dozing but the second I even put the dremel on the floor in the same room, he backs into a corner. Maybe he had a bad experience..it sucks though bc he has talons! And I would love to try to get the quik to back off a bit by dremeling every couple days...he just won't let me, so I take him in every 4 weeks to get them cut. Abby has these great short little nails bc she lets me do it, so I do it all the time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts