Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have Savannah re-microchipped. Why you ask? Well because her chip that she has now is registered to her previous owner, and i havent been able to get the info to be able to switch her chip info. we have had her 7 months now and we have no papers whehter it be AKC or her microchip info. I dont really care about the AKC papers but should anything happen and she gets lose i dont want her going back to her previous owner. So now my delimma. will a vet be able to microchip a dog that already has a chip in it? if so and the dog gets out who do they call?? I have a bill of sale for Savannah so if it ever came into question it is no problem, but i worry.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hmmm.. I don't know if dog licenses are required in TX, but if they are maybe you could go to your local shelter, have them scan her, they would get all the info from the chip and give you a form to send to the chip company to change the info over to your name and address. If you have a license for her that would prove that she is your dog. Actually since you have a bill of sale for her that should be proof enough that she is yours. I think your vet could probably even give you the info off the chip to contact the chip company.
I don't know if you could put a second chip in. How could you deactivate the chip that is in her neck already?

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we have a city license that is required but all that is needed is a copy of rabies vaccination. i actually was  scared to have her scanned because i didnt want them yanking her from me becuase i wasnt listed as an owner. what i will do is take my bill of sale with me when i go. Her rabies isnt even in my name because it was just given before i got her

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
That''s an interesting question Andrea, as Samson is also micro chipped from the rescue, I could run into the same issue, so that's something I would be interested in as well.....

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Do you know the brand of chip they have? Avid and Home Again are the top ones. Maybe you could contact them directly, but you would still need to have them scanned for their #'s.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no clue which one. I think i will hope into my vet tomorrow and have them scan her and get working on that. I need to get it changed. Willow i will let you know what ever i find out.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'm not sure if you'll be able to change the information with the chip company yourself - kinda defeats the purpose if anyone could do that - but the bill of sale might be helpful there.  The vet could put in a second chip, but I'm not sure how that would work if she ever did get found - whether they would cancel each other out, or if one would 'override' the other one.  The only dogs I know of with two chips are those whose first one migrated, so it was no longer in the shoulderblade area.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so basically i am being told to make sure she doesnt ever decide to run away :lol:

just kidding-i do appreciate all info. i guess all i can do is try.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i went through this with our siamese Maui...

what they did was this..scanned the chip..called the people on it and verified that they indeed got rid of him..they said yes...so i took my papers on the cat and they changed the info right infront of me at the humane society...my chips are all AVID

i did not get the cat there at the humane society either so they didnt know anything about him...they just offer micro chipping etc..so i thought id give it a shot.and it worked..

and i know after that i also went back and had them change both dogs and cats phone numbers on their chips when we had changed phone companies..so it can be done

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks Ky! that really gives me hope. knowing the conditions that savannah came from i dont want her to ever go back

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
is she chipped by a person or rescue?..doesnt really matter anyway..just bring your papers with you and anything else ..vet records,town license etc..so you have it all there with you in case they asked for something else...
i really dont think itll be hard..people change them all the time when they rescue,adopt etc...

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
omg lol i didnt see tootsies response hahah oops..she said almost the same thing..

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i got her from a person, not through rescue group. The only thing i have is city tags and bill of sale. Her medical history i cant get and the prior owner wont hand over, the only thing i could get was a copy of the rabies vaccine so i could register her with the city. but even the rabies tag is in the other persons name because she had just been give the vaccine before i got her

G

·
0 Posts
when my aunt adopted a microchipped dog from the pound, the pound was able to verify the adoption and applied to have the microchip that was already in place transfered over to her name...maybe contact animal control?  Do you have a proof of sale?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts