Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have some questions about the raw diet. I have been feeding our boxer puppy raw food since she was ten weeks old. At that point it was the summer and our farmers market had a lot of choices, i could buy her cheap chicken and supplement with beef and lamb. Then we placed ads and were able to get some free vension, fish, and more beef, and I think squirrels. She did great with all of it. Through the whole summer and fall our puppy had an amazing variety of proteins. We occassionally gave small bits of sweet potatoes or other veggie scraps from the table too. She has seemed to do well on the diet, everyone comments on what a pretty dog she is. The only concern is how small she is, her parents were both 80 pound dogs and we figured she would be huge, but currently at nine months old she is just about forty pounds and hasn't gained weight in a while, although we do think she is taller recently.

Starting in about January however we have run out of all of our proteins and at this point she is getting chicken leg quarters only with ocassional chicken livers and the same small amount of veggie scraps. I have been doing some research and there is alot out there that says if you are only feeding chicken it is not good for your dog. She will have nutrient deficiencies and all of that. So i am wondering if perhaps I should switch her to a dry food until the summer, then maybe I could switch her back to raw once the farmers are around again and i have access to more proteins again. A friend had told us that he would give us a deer, but that didn't materialize unfortunately.

At this point i am starting to doubt myself. I am feeding her raw because i want her to be as healthy as possible, but it makes me nervous to think that i might be causing her harm instead. Advice?? Thanks!

ps she currently is eating about two pounds of chicken per day over three meals

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
If you go to the DogAware.com site there is all kinds of information about raw diets, and supplements you can add to balance them out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it looks like the chicken diet she has been on for at least a month is probably going to add up to nutrient deficiencies. I'm starting to look at freeze dried raw or kibble. the freeze dried seems like it may just end up being to expensive to feed for such a big dog...anyone on here that had to switch their raw fed puppy to kibble? any tips are appreciated!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts