Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that Tug has been draggin his rump around lately.  And sometimes he bites at it.  I have heard and read that this usually is an indication that his anal glands are full and need to be emptied.  Do I take him to the vet for this, or do I dare do it on my own??  Any info would be great!! Thanks!!

·
Registered
278 Posts
I think I'd take him to the vet and make sure that's the problem.  The vet can show you how to do it if you'd want to do it next time on your own.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Think I will do that.  Make him an appt for Tue.  Thanks!

·
Registered
291 Posts
kind of like that commercial - stanley steamer? the one where the dog is rubbing his rear on the carpet? haha but seriously.there is a way to express the anal glands dogs typically do it on their own when they poop, that whys other dogs smell rears and old poop.

sometimes the anal glands may become impacted , the vet can show you to smell for an infection. sometimes by feeding a high fiber diet that can help them (the glands ) work on their own.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I agree I would let the vet do it first and then show you...It can also be in addition to anal glands, intest worms (usually tapes) or a flea wandering about down there.....He is a hefty guy so his anal glands may not be so easy to express (meaning may have to go inside the rectum  :oops: to do it)....

·
Registered
977 Posts

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
8O  :eh:  :sick:  8O Oh.....Annette.. I can't seem to get the vision out of my head with you and Voltaire in the shower expressing his anal glands.  8O  :eh:  :sick:  8O  I must say.....that is true love for your baby. I don't think I could ever do that for a skinkid, let alone my furbaby. I can't even take a rectal temp on my kids!  :?  Bless you....  :yes:

·
Registered
948 Posts
lol I agree on the anal gland thing... Toby will chomp on his "back end" and lick and lick and lick and its SOOO disgusting to imagine a tongue on.. well you know.. but I squeeze Toby's when he starts that nasty stuff.. and Mia hasn't had the problem yet... THANK GOODNESS! and for the rat dog.. he's a whole 12lbs and I squeeze his til they're empty ... Its nothing really... My bfs mom about throws up just thinking about doing it...  :roll:

·
Registered
352 Posts
oh man, the visions going through my head are awful!!!!!  is this something that is more common in boxers?  something i should now inevitably look forward to?   :no:  i just don't think i could stomach it and would definitely have to let the vet do it...

admiration goes out to you all who DIY!!

·
Registered
933 Posts
Ok, I'm gonna have to agree with the majority....there's no way I could do it myself.  I had a cocker spaniel and his groomer used to do it for me.  And actually, Niko has been biting at his butt lately.  I thought it might be a flea.  Good thing he has a vet appointment coming up.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
All I can say is..... ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!!! I'd leave that procedure to the vet lol... or someone would be cleaning up after me!!

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
sharonL\";p=\"30984 said:
I have been squirted right in the face by a tom cat's anal glands and I thought I was never going to be able to get rid of the smell....Oh what a horrible day at work that was....
:rofl: HaHa...That reminds me of a story about my cat Norton. One night he was up in the bed with me and my hubby, well the hubby was playing with him and when the cat finally relaxed and layed down, my hubby moved his hand right next to the cat to scare him.   :shifty:  Well...Norton went 3 feet up in the air and expressed his anal glands.  :crazyeye:  Talk about scaring the s**t out of the cat!! Well, needless to say the comforter and sheets are now history, but yes it was the most god awful stench.... :puke: I think it is way worse than skunk!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
wow!! now I know for sure that Tug will be going to the Vet!!! I don't have the stomach for that!!! 8O

·
Registered
977 Posts
We're all mad talking about this  :crazy: :lol: ! hahaha!!! That cat story is awful! :rofl: Your poor husband!
Just wanted to add that it really isn't so gross - a big wad of tissue paper means you see and smell nothing - honest! Trick is to trap your baby between your knees, facing the back. Then lift the tail - Voltaire hates that so it's the hardest thing. I wouldn't recommend bending down behind your animal to do it....you might get a shock if you're facing it :sick:
And once it's done, hey presto  :dance: no more having to listen to those coffee percolator noises :roll: !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts