Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you use the dremel? All 3 of my dogs have dark nails and I am afraid to cut them. Can you get them short with out bleeding with a dremel?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Maddie won't let me touch her nails. I would have to have someone sit on her first. Too traumatic!  8O  I bring  her to Petco about once a month and have her nails dremeled there. It takes 3 groomers, but I think it's better that they do it and it's well worth the $10!  :wink:

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Ooops! So to answer your question, yes you can get the nails short with a dremel. You still have to be careful not to dremel the quick. OUCH!!  8O

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Samson's nails grow incredibly fast for some reason ( you would think I was giving him Miracle Gro), so I decided to try the Dremel and I like it, and he sits very patiently for me as well...Bless his heart, I think he just likes the idea of Momma pampering him...Angel isn't quite that good, so I also take them into the groomers once a month ..I just dremel a tiny bit, like once a week. My goal is to get the quick to recede more, which will happen if you trim them real often. Here's a site that was given to me, it goes into very good detail on how to Dremel nails. I actually had it pulled up the first time I did Samsons so I could keep referring to it...

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/ ... index.html

Here's where I got my Dremel from

http://www.carealotpets.com/item-detail ... 0000002871

·
Registered
186 Posts
i have to cut then file harleys, of course she has clear nails that grow super quick.  she hate steh dremel..i do have a "mutt" whos nails are all dark, i also take her to petco about once a month for $10 to do hers, im to scared i will get the quick.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
I cut them first then use the dremel to smooth them out!! I dont cut them too much because Im too nervous lol Ive never cut too short though!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I switched to dremel and I LOVE it.  It is so much less stressful.  I am always worried about hitting the quick.  The dremel does things gradually so even if you hit the quick it is not nearly as painful as cutting through the quick.  My dogs just pull their paw away from me.  There is a great site that I have read on dremeling... let me dig it up for you, she has some GREAT tips and safety pointers, it's kind of long but it would benefit anyone who reads it and dremels.

Ok here is the website.  Click on it and look on the bottom left hand side of the page you will see a link that says  ' How to dremel dogs nails '... check it out when you have a few minutes to read through it.

http://homepages.udayton.edu/~merensjp/doberdawn/index.html

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I had found that website when I was looking up prices on the dremel.  I am pretty sure that I am going to buy one and try it with Kiah.  My sister said she would split the cost with me so we can each use it with our dogs.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I love the dremel!!!  My girlfriend (the groomer) lets me borrow hers.  I told her that I'm gonna have to buy one soon because Lilly's nail grow like she eats Miracle Grow as well and I have to trim 2x (small trim) a week.

Liz and Lilly

1 - 10 of 10 Posts