Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be taking Gaby to the beach and boating this summer, and I'm wondering if there are any concerns on drinking the water from the lake?.....Gaby seems to just love water, she always tries to steals her way in the shower with me, and doesn't seem to mind her baths in the whirl pool tub either...I never had this issue with Sexy because she hated water...she wouldn't even go out when it rains or walk through a puddle :lol:  anyways if anyone knows of any concerns or has had previous issues with this I'd love to hear from you!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I am not sure on Dogs drinking lake water, but my son got swimmers ear this summer, very painful and the doctor was telling me how really dirty lake water can be with all the bateria that is in it. We were ear plugs now....it grossed me out!  I perfer the swimming pool. (not public though)

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm not an expert and i'm sure there is someone on here that has a much better answer but I would think that it would be ok. I think the only issue would be if it's something like a farm pond where animal could get in it  and pollute it with waste. (you will know what i'm talking about if you've ever seen a farm pond with cattle)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
You might want to look into lepto (that is the short name for the disease) and see if it is prevelent in your area.  I had heard that they give it to hunting dogs in this area because they will drink water from ponds etc so I didn't think about it so much but there has been one case lately that my sister heard about from the owner, the dog is a hunting dog but goes to the dog park also.  They are not sure where he got it but they almost lost him to the disease.  My sister just got a shot for her dog and I will be getting Kiahs soon.   Here is a website but take in to account that the article was written in 1997 so there may be more up todate info on it:

http://www.news.cornell.edu/releases/Oc ... o.hrs.html

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I wouldn't let my dog drink out of the river that ran through a local dog park.  For some reason it was an area where a few dogs picked up Blasto.  I think that came from the soil around it.  Hard to control what they'll drink if they are attracted to puddles.  Yuk, mine was so fussy he preferred a running hose or bathtub faucet.  A puddle was a different story.

Ann WI

G

·
0 Posts
Some lakes use different toxins to kill the bacteria and algae, seaweed and what not.. I would look into the lake itself before allowing the dog to drink anything...

·
Registered
744 Posts
Which lake? One of the Great Lakes?

If so, I take my girls down to the beach (Lake Erie) all the time, but I use common sense and stick to areas that don't have stagnant water, that don't look particularly dirty, that aren't near river inlets or run off drains.

Dogs can pick up some intestinal parasites such as Giardia and Coccidia. Both cause loose stool can be treated with short runs of medication. Some will argue that once contracted, Coccidia can be very hard to remove from your soil, but if you live near a large body of water, chances are that this parasite is already well present in your soil.

Lepto is really only a concern in areas in which wildlife has had the opportunity to urinate and defecate in concentration (think puddles of standing water). This is not to say that these things cannot be contracted from larger bodies of non standing water, but I'm much less concerned about these things in a body of water the size of Lake Erie.

Honestly, my personal view is that we're talking about dogs -- animals that would otherwise obtain their hydration from these same exact bodies of water had they lived in the wild. My girls love to run on the beach, so I let them, but again, I use a bit of common sense when doing so.

Again, this is all just MO and each has to do what is within their own personal comfort level. :)

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well Gaby has been vaccinated for the lepto at 9 weeks, so I'm pretty shure that she will be ok as far as that goes, but after reading the article in kiahsmom's posting I'm going to be calling the vet to make sure that vaccine will protect against all strains of lepto...thanks kiahsmom, good article to read.

And as far as the Giardia and Coccidia is concerned I will also be talking to the vet about this as well to see if there's anything I can do to protect her other than common sense of course
Thanks again to everyone who posted on this issue :)

G

·
0 Posts
Seven got Giardia from drinking/playing in a clean looking lake. When were at any body of water I put a bowl of fresh water on the ground and let him know its there to drink. He only drinks that water now.

·
Registered
882 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ShawnSeven\";p=\"72718 said:
Seven got Giardia from drinking/playing in a clean looking lake. When were at any body of water I put a bowl of fresh water on the ground and let him know its there to drink. He only drinks that water now.
Great tip on the bowl of fresh water.....I will be doing the same now!

·
Registered
744 Posts
Oops - just wanted to add that I didn't mean to insinuate that Giardia and Coccidia couldn't happen, even in clean looking water, but it's just a chance that I'm willing to take because I believe in allowing dogs to be dogs (and to me, part of "being a dog" is running and playing in our Lake, rivers and streams). :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts