Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boxer seems to get really droopy lower eye lids when he is tired.  I was not that concerned, but his eyes get really red too, so I just want to make sure that this is a normal thing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
yepers...like you said,hes just tired.

does it look like this-

·
Registered
270 Posts
I'm so glad someone wrote in about this.  Our pups lower eyes seem to droop alot....is he that tired all the time?!  I've had people even notice it.  The vet. didn't say anything, so I guess no worries.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
some boxers have droopy  eyes, just how they are. some droop because they are tired. Reese's eyes dont droop, and Savannahs will if she is tired. i have been owned by other boxers though that have had very droopy lower lids. just one of those quirky boxer traits

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks!....good to know.  it is a bit concerning, but glad to know it is normal!  I, of course, will now try to notice if his eyes droop more when he is tired.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah has real droopy lower lids and the vet said that some Boxers do more than others; just to watch eye discharge in case of infection.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Abby's get really red when tired, when stressed and after playing hard (long walk, running burns a long time or playing hard with Brady). As for droopiness...the only that our vet mentioned to us was with respect to our cocker, who has droopy (cute!) eyes...the vet jsust mentioned that when eyes are too droopy, they can be subject to more infections. So he just recommended that we keep our eye out for infections and if it became a recurrent problem (so far, so good), there is a surgical procedure they can do to correct the droopiness...but this is only if recurrent infections occur.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I agree...Some have them, some don't.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Roxy has droopy eyelids to! So did her mom! I do believe I read somewhere that its hereditary! No need to worry though! It wont cause any harm!! :lol:

·
Registered
491 Posts
gunnar's are red and droopy too.  my vet said it's normal, his eyes droop and form little pockets and dirt and gunk collect there, which makes them red, like allergies kinda.  i just try to keep them as clean as i can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, next eye question.  He gets a lot of goop (sleep) in his eyes, especially after sleeping for the night.  Is this normal?  We have just tried to keep up with cleaning his eyes when he wakes up.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Goop can derive from a lot of things, quality of food being fed, alergies or if the discharge is green then get it checked, green is sign of infection.

With droopy eyes you have to be careful and to keep the clean.   When the eyelid is flipped like that it opens them up to all certain stuff, so always check them.

Kash gets boogies from alergies.  I wipe his eyes with special dog eye wipes in the morning.   He gets them alot so does Hanna.   Once fall hits they will go away.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Kane had boogies in his eyes when I first got him, but I started washing his face with a clean warm washrag every morning and in no time it vanished.  I think it probably has to do with pollens and dust blowing around.  But he likes his faced washed either way and it seems to keep the gunk away.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
If you look at pix of Lilly she has super droopy eyes too.  

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
61 Posts
another thing to watch out for is Ectopic something.. Its where they are born with their eyelids being out of kilter or something close.. They get alot of eye boogers because the eyelid is rubbing the eye and irritating it.  Vet said it could also cause the animal to go blind.  :cry:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts