Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering how people store the dry kibble.  Do you keep it in the bag that you get it in from the store or do you store the food in something else?  Why I am wondering is when we got Apollo we picked up a plastic storage container for dog food.  The container is big enough to hold about 30 lbs of food.  Anyways, Apollo about about half way through the bag/container just stops eating his food.  I do not know if it is the container or if he is sick of his food.  But we frequently go to my parents for a weekend and they have the same food for him there, and its like we have never feed the dog for weeks because he chows the bowl of food right down.  I am wondering if the plastic is giving his food a particular smell or taste and that is why he will not touch his food.  The only way we could get him to eat for us using the food out of the container was by placing plain yogurt on it.  For the bag we are on now we decided to see how he would do if we did not place the food in the container, and we are about 1/4-1/2 left and so far so good.

Sorry this is long...wondering if I should forget about the container all together or try something else.

Thanks for any input that you have for me!   :D

·
Registered
462 Posts
Hmm never thought of that. We also store ours in the plastic container. Zoie gets the same way as Apollo. Cant wait to see everyones opinion...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I keep my dry kibble in the bag, and place the bag in a plastic storage bin. You don't want to pour the kibble in the storage bin, especially plastic, because the oils in the kibble can become rancid, and then contaminate the rest of the kibble. So, it very well could be the container that you were using to store the food.  :wink:

·
Registered
522 Posts
HMM,I always wondered about it,maybe the paper will help in stopping the plastic smell going into the food.Good idea!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hmmm... we poured Porters food in a rubbermail container too... he's only a week into a 20 lb bag, so we'll see what he does.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
We bought one of the airtight containers for dog food...hold 40lbs. We wash it after every use, but none of my babies have a problem with eating their food. We used to keep it in the bag, but we have sugar ants at this new house and they kept getting in the food, tried a rubbermaid container but that didnt do a dang thing. Ever since i purchased this little air tight one we have ahd no problems :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I use a large 40 gal tote lined with a heavy plastic bag, when the food is gone, so is the bag, a new plastic bag every time :) Never had any problems with mine not eating tho, just the opposite  :)

·
Registered
942 Posts
huh, we've always kept their food in a rubbermaid container and then we scoop it into their bowls and they eat out of their bowls. We also kept Harley's in a rubbermain container. I had no idea that it was bad to store the food in the container.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for your ideas and info...I will definitely try washing it out some more and placing a bag in there before the food.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
[quote="tootsie\";p=\"118118":3f6k2d9c]I keep my dry kibble in the bag, and place the bag in a plastic storage bin. You don't want to pour the kibble in the storage bin, especially plastic, because the oils in the kibble can become rancid, and then contaminate the rest of the kibble. So, it very well could be the container that you were using to store the food.

·
Registered
14 Posts
samsonsmom\";p=\"118312 said:
I use a large 40 gal tote lined with a heavy plastic bag, when the food is gone, so is the bag, a new plastic bag every time :) Never had any problems with mine not eating tho, just the opposite  :)
Thats what we do too....  large lidded plastic can, lined with a glad trash bag....

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
8O im the bad mom i guess  lol i jsut leave it in the bag..bag goes in the cabinet in the kitchen..we really dont have any bug issues so its never a problem

·
Registered
913 Posts
I do just the same as Ky..open the horses ( ashley )bag..toss it into the cupboard near her food dish...she is on a 20 lb bag..doesn't LAST long enough to go bad..and thank god..its an interior cupboard..so we have had no bug issues either!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts