Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been having issues with my Cleo's face for about a month. It looks terrible with dry skin, peeling, bleeding, e.t.c. My vet told me there was nothing I could do. I have a nose butter but she licks it off making it worse. I've tried distracting her, getting her before bed or play and she'll just lick it. Btw, she is a HUGE licker. Worse than any boxer I've ever seen.

Does anyone have any other ideas? Either something else or another way to distract her.

This is how bad it's gotten.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Have you tried distracting her with some kind of chew bone like a benebone or something of that nature? Sometimes allergies look like this too my friends boxer had a similar seasonal allergy symptom. Her ears were scabby on the outsides as well sometimes but mostly got red around the muzzle. Your dog could be licking from it itching that would be my guess.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@[email protected] Yeah, it definitely itches her. She scrubs her face on the couch constantly. And I see her smushing her face in the mud outside.
But I was reading through some other posts and I saw the dry skin and scabs one. My dog has Hypothyroidism. Do you think it could be from that? Her vet never mentioned dry skin as a symptom. Cause it does span to under and between her eyes.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
You need a new vet. Find one that is willing to do a skin scrap to check for mites as well as a culture. Her lips look thickened and I’m wondering if there is a secondary infection.

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
Now this may sound stupid but do you regularly wash her toys and bowls? Our boxer also had dry most but our vet gave us something for it. You had to apply it regularly or it would once again get dry. When my daughter is home I will ask her for the name of it. And of course what Kaco said.

·
Registered
518 Posts
That thyroid issue you mentioned may very well be the cause of her dry skin and nose one of my females had that and they gave her meds for it and it was fine after that as I remember the meds were not all that expensive. Your Vet should have offered you some more info on her condition she looks very cute and sweet!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts