Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all!  I'm very new here, but I've read a lot of good advice here as guest in the past couple of years.  Wondering if anyone knows whats going on with my 4 1/2 year old Boxer's nose.  (If I knew how to put pics in the message I would).   His nose started getting really dry at the end of August and it hasn't gone away.  Its really dry and kind of crusty at the end of his nose.  He drinks plenty and doesn't seem to be acting different by any means.  He's an inside dog, so any weather change shouldn't be the culprit.  The vet today just said to put neosporin on it to help keep in moist?  He said it didn't look like the "lupus" dry nose look.  If anyone has had this problem and knows how to make it better and how to avoid it for the future, I'm all ears!!  Thanks!

· Registered
1,359 Posts
Best bet is to just listen to the vet as they do know what they're talking about.

As for pictures get a Photobucket account (http://www.photobucket.com) load your pictures to their site and then underneath the pictures once their loaded there will be a few codes. Copy and paste the HTML code in the box where you wrote your message and voila!

Oh yeah and Welcome to the board

· Registered
3,142 Posts
Perhaps try a food change? I don't really know! As long as he's well in other ways - eating, drinking , going toilet etc I wouldn't worry too much! Hope this puts your mind at ease a little!

· Registered
7,721 Posts
A vitamin E oil capsule works wonders for dry nose.  :wink:

· Registered
2,350 Posts
I used calendula oil (has olive oil in it) on Mateo's and that worked great also.
He got a dry nose out of the blue a couple of months ago and that took care of it in a week or so.

Could be change of season making it dry out also.  I know my skin is a lot dryer now that it's cooling off here in NC.

Nano

· Registered
1,169 Posts
Please don't listen to your vet-They do not always know best!!! Don't put neosporin on it bc he can lick  his nose and it is toxic. I use vitamin E oil bc if they lick it which they will it will not harm them. I prefer the liquid bc you can just dab it on.

· Registered
17 Posts
The dog's nose might dry and crack when out in the cold. So, use a moisturizer made for dogs along with the tissues or Dry Dog Nose Balm from Puppington. Using a small amount of petroleum jelly will also help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts