Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to this forum. I have a Brindle Boxer who is nearly 3 years old. We recently noticed the formation of dry skin and what we would called scabbing on his belly. These do not appear to be traditional scabs that result from an open wound, instead they appear to be a collection of dry skin that can be easily removed by hand. There has been some hair loss on the belly due to this issue. Most of the scabbing is taking place on the belly area, but there have been a few scabs that have formed on his back and the upper portion of his hind legs. These scabs have come and go on their own. There has not been any itching or signs of discomfort. I understand the correct solution is to visit the Vet and that is currently in the works. While that is pending, I figured I would reach out here and see if anyone else has experience with what we are seeing. I have included some photos that should help. I am also available to answer further questions anyone may have. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The Vet visit is the way to go here I have never seen that kind of hair loss, it could be something systemic for him or allergy related I am sure they will probably want to do a skin scraping. Its good you already have an appt.. I hope its nothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some type of allergy is a guess of mine. From what I have read and seen, it does not appear to be a form of mange. When it comes to allergies I understand that can be a slippery slope trying to find the cause. Whether it be diet, environment, or something else. The Vet appt. is upcoming, but I do not expect to have a solution for quite some time. The good news is there has not been a behavior change. There does not appear to be any pain, itching, or discomfort associated with it.

If anyone else has any experience to share it would be welcomed. I will be reporting back as the situation evolves so maybe this will help someone down the road.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My Boston Terrier has similar spots. His are a bit more red at first. In his case they are from an allergy to grass that comes around when it gets warm. This also started for him when he was three. Our Vet did prescribe a Gentamicin spray because he occasionally scratches them open. Hope it is something simple.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Mange is pretty painful and extremely itchy, so I highly doubt its that. Usually with an allergy its itchy and has a reddish hue to it. Got me stumped. Hopefully your vet figures it out. Good luck

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am seeing some similarities between my Boxer's skin condition and some of the Boxer photos I have seen of Hypothyroidism. At this point the other symptoms do not match. I am assuming some type of allergy for now. Vet visit coming up soon.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I think the only way to know will be for the vet to do a scraping and find out. It could be anything from a type of mange, ringworm or from thyroid or some other immune disorder. I hope you come back and let us know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This could be mites, at one time I used to gather wood from an orchard and our brindle showed up with marks like that. Of course check with the vet for sure. I had to start storing my wood at work to keep her away from the wood and she cleared up after treatment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This could be mites, at one time I used to gather wood from an orchard and our brindle showed up with marks like that. Of course check with the vet for sure. I had to start storing my wood at work to keep her away from the wood and she cleared up after treatment.
Thank you. This is a possibility. We do take him outside for exercise often. And we do have a type of treated wood chip as a play area for him on our property. He spends a good amount of time in an around the wood chips.

Did your Brindle exhibit signs of being itchy or discomfort or any other symptoms associated with the mites?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not really an itching problem, of course she did like to rub her back upside down on the carpet but then again she still did that after it was all cleared up. Love Boxers and their antics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not really an itching problem, of course she did like to rub her back upside down on the carpet but then again she still did that after it was all cleared up. Love Boxers and their antics.
Yes, sounds like standard protocol for Boxers. Our boy has always done this and we hope he never stops doing it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Vet visit complete. His Vet is confident that he is experiencing a low grade staph (staphylococcus) infection. The infection is causing the scabby lesions seen in the photo, which are called collarettes. Look up that word and you will see that the descriptions are a match. The infection had spread to his ears and were beginning to cause redness there. The underlying cause of all this is likely some sort of allergy. To what, we do not know. As anyone who has dealt with allergies before, finding the culprit can be challenging.

Treatment is simple. Some Claro Otic solution was applied to his ears. He is being given an antibiotic (Cefpodoxime - 200mg) once per day. These medications should clear up the infection. From there we will wait and see if the infection flares up again or if it simply goes away for good.

This will likely be an ongoing saga. I will check back from time to time if I have updates I feel will be helpful to the people of the internet in general. One thing that may help is the prescribed medicine prices were largely inflated by the Vet, but this is the norm. If someone else needs these medicines in the future, look into purchasing them separately.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Sounds like you will need to get those allergies under control too. My friends boxer had a similar thing with scabs on the ears she got her on meds and it all cleared up. Sometimes if your vet is willing you can get human prescriptions for your dog for the same meds. I have a prescription card at my local pharmacy so I can get meds filled there when needed sometimes they are cheaper that way. It is a PET prescription card I have mine with our local CVS

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello. I am new to this forum. I have a Brindle Boxer who is nearly 3 years old. We recently noticed the formation of dry skin and what we would called scabbing on his belly. These do not appear to be traditional scabs that result from an open wound, instead they appear to be a collection of dry skin that can be easily removed by hand. There has been some hair loss on the belly due to this issue. Most of the scabbing is taking place on the belly area, but there have been a few scabs that have formed on his back and the upper portion of his hind legs. These scabs have come and go on their own. There has not been any itching or signs of discomfort. I understand the correct solution is to visit the Vet and that is currently in the works. While that is pending, I figured I would reach out here and see if anyone else has experience with what we are seeing. I have included some photos that should help. I am also available to answer further questions anyone may have. Thanks for your time.
View attachment 135828

View attachment 135829
My big boy had those when he got older (@5-6). Vet said it was some type of dermatitis and suggested I put dandruff shampoo on them and let it dry on them. It worked, apparently it must be similar to dry scalp? Vets also have medicated shampoos if the dandruff shampoo doesn't work.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My big boy had those when he got older (@5-6). Vet said it was some type of dermatitis and suggested I put dandruff shampoo on them and let it dry on them. It worked, apparently it must be similar to dry scalp? Vets also have medicated shampoos if the dandruff shampoo doesn't work.
Thanks for that info. This could be some form of dermatitis. It would be great if some dandruff shampoo is the answer here. I am proceeding with the antibiotics for now at the direction of the Vet. I am checking the progress daily and hoping for the best.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts