Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took Duke to my parents vet and he looked at Dukes foot, then felt it (something my vet didn't do) and he said he doesn't think it is cancer at all.  I was so relieved.  He said it could be an infected hair folicule or maybe there are a few Demodex mites in there.  He said that he thought it could be demodex before I even told him Duke had a history of Demodex.  So I am putting a cream on it that he suggested and we will see if it goes away.  He told me that if it gets worse to bring him back.  Also, he said you shouldn't give a dog with Demodex steroids, thats what my vet told me to put on his foot a steroid cream so hopefully now that we aren't doing that and we are putting a different cream on it he will get better.  

Thank you so much for you nice thoughts and prayers.  We were both so scared, we love all our fur babies very much but there is something special about Duke that makes him stand out a little more.  I don't know but we are so happy.  This vet said he wasn't worried at all and he feels Duke is fine.  So yay :) Thank you again for all your help.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Wonderful news, I hope this cream works and Duke's foot gets better quickly.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
So happy to hear that good news for Duke! Let's hope the cream does the trick!  :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hoping that now Duke will get back to normal, glad it wasn't cancer..Ditto that was already said about changing vets perhaps

G

·
0 Posts
I'm surprised that other vet would have put a dog with history of demodex (which occurs when immune system is low) on a steroid of any sort *(which messes with immune system)...sounds like the first vet didn't know a whole lot...

and to think...some of our doctors were vet school drop outs...hmmm

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
glad to hear  it is not cancer. i hope the cream does it's job..!

·
Registered
526 Posts
yup, that is good news.. Hope it goes away soon.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah Adam wasn't happy either.  What suprises me is that she is a long time Boxer owner.  Yeah I know Boxer's are known for cancer but to put a dog through any kind of surgery without knowing for sure or at least feeling the skin growth.  The vet I went to yesterday said that when he felt it he could tell it was on top of the skin and it didn't feel like it was in the skin.  And he said that skin cancer does happen but he didn't feel at all that it is cancer and to try this cream and see what happens.  

If I hadn't have listened to my parents Duke would be having surgery on the 1st, which would have stressed him out and probabaly made his Demodex break out again (which would cost us more money) plus how much it costs for the surgery and the biopsey.  It would have been a huge cost right before the holiday.  Granted if this vet i just saw thought it was cancer too I would definately paid for the surgery but you would think you would make sure it isn't anything else before you said cancer.  She barely even looked at it, we have been so stressed out, my boyfriend has been so worried about Duke (this is his first dog and they love each other so much). Duke cries when Adam leaves at night to go out and when Adam is on his way home Duke gets so excited, Adam calls me and has me put my phone on speaker so he can tell Duke he is on his way home.  Duke will wait by the door till Adam gets home.

Don't get me wrong she has always been very patient with us and when our kitten died she even sent us a card but it this time she wasn't and if you are too busy to take the time and make sure your patients know exactly what is going on and take the time to make sure that you know what you are looking at and feel it to make sure its not anything else before you make someone worry. I'm not very happy, the only problem is that the vet I went to yesterday is like an hour and a half away.  Oh well, its worth the drive to make sure my babies are taken care of.  Plus they are on call during the weekend.  My mom's dog was having trouble giving birth on Christmas eve last year and one of their vets came over to make sure everything was ok.  So its worth the drive to know that the vets care that much.  Plus there are 3 vets compared to just one at the one I go to now.  

Sorry it is so long.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
This vet sounds like it's worth the drive to go there, think I would continue going there

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Glad you got some good news.....I was curious what ointment they put him on?  Off the top of my head I thought of Goodwinoil Ointment??

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually he told me to put an antibiotic ointment on it, because he thought it could either be an infected hair folicule or the demodex.  I don't know the name of it, I already had some, the last time Duke had Demodex on his face she told me to put the antibiotic ointment and the Goodwinoil ointment on it.  My parents vet told me there was a new flea and tick medicine out that helps with Demodex also, I will have to get the name from him, he said they don't advertise her in United States that it is used for Demodex but they do in Europe.  So the next time Duke gets an outbreak I think we are going to try it and see how it works (hopefully we don't have to though).  But the Goodwinoil works really well, it has gotten rid of the Demodex twice now.  

Question, do you think dipping a dog is harmful to them? I ask my parents vet and he said that they don't like to do it unless they have to, he tries taking the stuff they dip with and rubbing it on the areas effected first.  Are there bad side effects?  We don't really have to worry about it right now but I was just curious.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
[quote="DUKE01\";p=\"53184":awdk171u]
Question, do you think dipping a dog is harmful to them? I ask my parents vet and he said that they don't like to do it unless they have to, he tries taking the stuff they dip with and rubbing it on the areas effected first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts