Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Duke has cryptorchidism which is where only one of his teste's has dropped, I've done some research on the subject online, and many articles have said that the dog must be neutered or the other teste that has not descended will become cancerous, however other people have given advice saying they have owned a dog like that and it lived for 17 years quite healthy the same way, however they could not breed the dog, and I'm just getting different answers from every angle. I just want to try to see if anyone has any experience with this before I take him to the vet with questions.  I've also read that getting him neutered since he has cryptorchidism is much more expensive because the surgery turns out to be more like a spay surgery since they have to go in and find the other one, please, much advice is appreciated! Thanks Happy New Year everyone!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Yes an undecended testicle is not uncommon.  Most can be due to heredity.   However its always been advised (to me) to neuter.  Reason being that if left up in the body cavity it can pose an increase to testicular cancer and torsion (twisting of an organ).   And you are correct in the proceedure, its more advasive and depending on where you go, may be in increase in price.  

Many people neuter due to the fact that this is a defect, and hence why it should not be passed on and bred from.  Kash's nut did not drop until about 7 months of age.  I literally had to massage it to drop and it did eventually.  However if it did not, then I would have 100% sure neutered him.   No need for any acciental breedings, esp with a genetic defect and more important any risk cancer wise.

If you are not thinking if neutering, then what is the reason behind it?? Cost of the surgery??

·
Registered
441 Posts
Baxter had this as well, our vet informed us of the risks of leaving it, the same mentioned above. We chose to have him neutered and it was twice as expensive. I think total we paid close to $400, but it was better than the what-if's that we could have run into down the road.....

·
Registered
275 Posts
Tucker had this as well.  I waited to have him neutered until he was almost 7 months hoping against hope that it would drop (couldn't even feel the sucker it was so far up there!)  It cost about what spaying a female would have.

But yes, yes, yes, please get him neutered.  Statistics don't lie - he is much more likely to get testicular cancer.  I know that some people say their dog lived for years without it causing problems - any maybe that's true - but you'll also see people claim that their great-grandmother smoked 3 packs of cigarettes from age 13 and drank 12 beers a day and lived to be 100.  But you wouldn't allow your kid to do that would you?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THanks everyone for all your help.  It's not that I have not wanted to neuter him, I've only had him for 2 and a half months, and we weren't sure of his age, but were waiting to see if it ever dropped, and it hasn't so I've been doing research on it before I was going to make a final decision. Originally we did want to breed him, but being the circumstance, his health is more important to us, so we are going to neuter him.  There's always next time! The cost is a little bit of a problem since it is more expensive than a regular neuter, we got a quote from our vet for $425 but I'm going to try to get quotes from other vets in the area. Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Sounds like you already got great advice I just wanted to say that I agree.....A cryptorid male needs to be neutered!!! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts