Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, its only half the time and its not just my skin it is Adam's too.  We thought at first he got into some poison oak because the lady behind us told us she had some in her yard.  Adam sprayed all the weeds and well now its winter time and we have had snow and everything but it still happens.  He doesn't scratch excessively or anything, he doesn't have any rashes or breakouts.  He has had demodex but its all cleared up and humans can't catch it.  We don't breakout or anything, it just iches and burns sometimes we have to make him sleep on the floor because its so bad.  It goes away after a couple of minutes so I really can't figure out what it is.  

Any help would be great.  And if we are allergic to him oh well, I guess we will get used to it because I couldn't give my baby away.

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Interesting, my stepdaughter had the same problem with our last boxer, Sophie. After a couple minutes of snuggle time Rach's arms would be red and itchy. Like you it went away quickly and never got any worse, just annoying. Rach is very fair skinned and Sophie had very coarse hair for a boxer IMO so I just assumed it was a combo of the 2 things. Rachel loved Sophie (told people they were sisters :D )so it was just a quirky thing she put up with.However, when she was last here playing with Donner, she had NO problems. If it really bothers and you're able to take it, try Benadryl, worked for Rach when the itchies got bad!

·
Registered
362 Posts
My nephew had what sounds like a similar issue when he met Cooper (also demodex).  If Duke is anything like Cooper, his dander is probably in overdrive right now while his skin is repairing itself.  What treatments is Duke on?  I'm thinking my nephew could have possibly had a reaction to the ivermectin because Cooper did like him in his face and that's where he got the rash.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe thats what it is....coarse hair.  It never gets really bad, just sometimes when we are in bed and he wants to snuggle, i love him but sometimes i need my sleep.  And Adam and I both kindof have sensitive skin and its never happened with any other dogs i've had.  Thanks. :)  And like your daughter nothing could keep me from loving on Duke, he's too sweet and cuddley.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He's not anymore. His wasn't as bad as Coopers just a couple of spots.  We have had Duke since he was 8 weeks so when we first noticed the spot we took him in to the vet right away and took care of it.  From what I remember Cooper was pretty bad when you got him....right?  So all we used was a little ointment on the spot.  Do you think just his dander could irritate the skin if he only had a few break outs?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
How often to you give Duke a bath?  I'm allergic to dogs.  I break out in hives.  But I can take a shower or wash the area and it disappear within an hour.  We bathe our 2 about every 2 weeks on average.  And most of the time I wear long sleeve t-shirts and pj bottoms and this prevents most of my breakouts!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not very often....only when he is smelly.  We don't break out or anything and I just didn't think we would both be allergic to him.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="DUKE01\";p=\"63979":3mogj4l3]Not very often....only when he is smelly.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Yeah Cooper's was about as generalized as you could get.  His dander has stopped now, but he was loosing a bunch of dead skin while it was repairing.  Also, losing a lot of hair.  All sorts of things could have contributed to my nephew's problem.  He has extremely fair skin, too.  And he's just 18 months old.  the list goes on and on.  I would think if it was an allergic reaction to dander, then your eyes would probably itch as well.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its only when we touch his fur...like when we are cuddled up or if he brushes past us.  Its definately not his saliva....he kisses so much that if that was the case i would be constantly itching. Duke will even sit by Adam and give him a bath (lick his head) like Adam was his baby.  That is a little much for me.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="DUKE01\";p=\"63987":3pzypjwf]Its only when we touch his fur...like when we are cuddled up or if he brushes past us.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He loves it.....He looks so sweet when he is doing it to....his eyes close and he just looks peaceful like nothing could make him happier.  I think its gross....I will let Duke give me some kisses but not that much.  Adam will pin me down and him and Duke will give me kisses, its gross.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="DUKE01\";p=\"63994":1yo3eths]He loves it.....He looks so sweet when he is doing it to....his eyes close and he just looks peaceful like nothing could make him happier.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is great!!!  I wish I was strong enough to pin Adam down.  He deserves it sometimes. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts