Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm going to give a little background as to why I think he won't get into the car.  It was probably in September or October I think, Adam and Duke got into a car accident.  Duke was ok but it was his side of the car that got hit, actually he was in the front seat and they hit the passenger front side (and he had his head on the window).  I don't know how he didn't get hurt.  

After that he would still get in the car with me with no problems but when Adam would want to take him somewhere Duke would get all the way down to the car then get scared and run back up to the house.  This went on for a month or so, then he got better, would run down to the car no problems.  

Ok, so like Friday I think, Duke wouldn't get in the car to go for a ride with Adam, he sat at the top of the steps and looked sad.  So I went out side and took him down to the car, he came just fine for me and jumped into the car.  Then I shut the door and when back inside.  (this may be my fault) I think Duke thought I was going with because Adam said he got in the back seat and started to whin alittle when I went inside.  I should have just went with them.  Now he won't even get in the car for me.  Sunday night I had to carry him down the stairs and put him in the car, once he is in the car he is fine we just can't get him in the car.  Last night we got (Duke and I) all the way down to the car opened the door, he took one step towards the car then ran up the stairs.  

I just don't know what to do any more.  Should I leash him up and force him in the car and give him treats when he gets in?  Please help, he loves going for rides so much, he will sit at the door and whin when someone grabs the keys.  I just don't know what to do. I don't want to stress him out more but he needs to get over this.  

Sorry it is so long, and thanks for any help you guys can give me.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I would leash him, and have Adam lead him to the car.  Once he is right in front of the car, praise him and reward (the yummies treats).  Then slowly work him into the car.  Everytime he get closer, or touches the car praise and reward.   Do this until he is in the car.  Then take a short ride (around the block), and return home.  Praise and let him out of the car.  This short ride will hpefully assure him its ok and safe.   Keep doing short rides and the same senerio as above with Adam (since he is fine with you) and hopefully he will overcome this fear.

Also not sure if you use a clicker, but this is a perfect opportunity to use a clicker and get him to feel comfortable.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will try that.  I just feel bad for him because he loves rides so much but it is so hard to get him in the car now.  He isn't a little boy anymore.  On Sunday I was running late and ended up just carring him down the stairs, I really don't know how I did this he weighs like 70lbs or so.  I just hope something works, he looks so sad sitting there on the stairs.  It breaks my heart when he is sad.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
JUst do little by little, and use a super yummy treat (not your ordinary treats).   I would boil up some chix.  cut into cubes and use that or no fat turkey hot dogs.  What ever drives him wild.  Little by little, and any little step he takes towards the car or the stairs, big time praise and treat.   Dont get too frustrated because they (the dog) can totally feed of your energy, and may become more stubborn!  Good Luck!!!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Poor Duke, obviously that car accident scared him badly and now he's real jumpy about getting in the car...Good advice from Heather..Make every little progress he makes seem like it's huge..It probably will take a bit of time, but I'm sure Duke will be back riding in the car soon..Is there also a favorite toy he really likes? You might want to use that as well as a possible lure...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We do have two dogs, Tabs our lab mix.  Should we try taking her with us all the time?  Alot of times when one of us is staying home we leave one of the dogs and take the other.  Do you think that maybe if we have both of them go it will help him over-come his fear?  Maybe start by taking her a couple times then just take him, and give him treats and stuff.  See if that makes it easier.  I've heard that if one does is ok and calm it helps the other dog to be calm, do you think this will help?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It certainly is worth a try  :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
It sounds like you got some good advice already.....It could never hurt to take the other one with....or use the treats...just whatever you do be consistent with it so it makes Duke feel at ease.  I guess I am thinking if you do not want to take Tabs every time then I would not do that because it may get Duke to where he does not want to go unless Tabs goes too.....I would start off with the treats and praise like HB said and go from there working with Duke on his own!!!  Good luck!!!!!

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
We went through this awhile back with my van.  I think while waiting there my dog heard a truck backfire.  For several days I left both back doors open, and with a treat lured him in one side, and allowed him out the other door.  We didn't drive anywhere, just practiced with a lot of praise added.
It finally became a game, the fear left, and he took his usual spot in the back seat.

A couple other times he'd refuse to jump in the car because I'd taken away the big stick he wanted to take along for the ride.  Then I'd throw in a treat and say "Okay" in a very cheerful voice and up he'd go.  Of course the treat thing can backfire.  He'd refuse to go out to do his stuff first thing in the morning until he got a treat.  A standoff that often lasted for a couple hours.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the advise.  I will try it and see what happens.  I will keep you posted.  The poor guy gets so excited to go for a ride then gets down to the car and gets scared.  

Again thank you.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Yes if he is not treat motivated then I would then get his favorite toy.   Reward then would be about a minute of play esp if its a tug.  Hanna is more toy driven than treat driven.  So our rewards for something she does is a small play session with her tug.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: Duke won't get into the car---Update

So this weekend I tried taking him out in the car again....we got to the porch and thats it.  So I went inside and got his leash and he went to the car no problem.  So I think I will just have to start leashing him up....Adam said maybe he feels safer when he has his leash on.  And thats fine, like I told Adam we should have it on him anyway just in case.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts