Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So dungy has been home for 4 days now... i got him friday night.  The first night was very rough, i didnt get a bit of sleep.  He was so excited about being here that he did not sleep the whole night, i also didnt want to put him in his cage cause i couldnt take the crying.  By the next night i had decided i have to let him cry... this work really well, about 2 hrs after he stopped crying he woke up and started wining, my bf took him out to potty at 3:30 in the morning... i was really impressed w/ my bf lol.  Dungy slept the rest of the night and woke up to potty at 7:30.  He has been pretty good w/ the potty training i always catch him b4 he really goes.

Last night was the best, he went to bed at 11 and had to go potty at 1, after that he slept till 7:30.  I feel really bad though cause i have a few classes this morning so i have to leave him in the cage, i feel so bad about leaving him.  It is only a few hrs but i have been w/ him 24/7.

So idk if i am doing everything right cause i give him all of my attention and i feel like i shouldnt be doing stuff when he is playing.  I feel like i need to give him all my attention lol which is hard when i have stuff to do.  He gets mad at me when i am doing something else and not looking at him lol... he starts biting my feet and barking at me lol.  This is gonna be the hardest week for me having to leave him and not take him w/ me when i go to the store and stuff.

So Dungy is a white boxer w/ a blue and brown eye and i am so relieved to say that he is not deaf... no where near to being lol.

Are there any tips people could give me about just the first few weeks of him being w/ me and getting used to me or what kind of freedom i can give him.  I know this is a lot lol i just want to be the best mom possible.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Well,

When you go to the store or class put something in his cage that will keep him entertained! It might work. Is there a TV close to his cage? If so turn that on and let him watch cartoons, that might work as well. I'm sure other ppl. on here can tell you more, but I just thought I would throw in a couple of suggestions.

Good luck!

Do you have any photos of him yet?

Chase

·
Registered
280 Posts
In your post you said you wanted him to have some freedom?

Well that might work as long as you don't leave him too long the first time. Leave him in the living room and go get in the car and circle the suvdivision and go back and see how he was. Some dogs will act better when they have freedom. Like I said in the previous post, if you leave a TV or a toy in the living room that might keep him entertained. Just my suggestion.

Chase

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Congrats on getting your new baby! He sounds wonderful. Good job to both of you for the potty training. It can be a challenge, but just stay consistent with it and you should be fine. As far as crating goes, he seems to like his crate so thats a great start! And it's great that he will sleep that long in there.  Like Chase said, maybe leave the TV on, or we leave music or radio on and that seems to calm them a bit when you go out. Also sometimes we leave a kong with a little PB or Cream cheese frozen in it when we leave. She doesn't even notice that we are leaving when we do that LOL.  

We sometimes have our kitchen baby gated off, that has been working well for us, just so she doesn't have full run of the house all the time and we don't have to chase after her into every room. It gives her the space to play and we can keep an eye on her too, we spend a lot of time in our kitchen... Make sure there is nothing in there that he can chew or eat! Sadie can reach our wicker baskets in the kitchen so they've been moved.  :lol: I wouldn't leave him unattended for more than a few minutes because you never know what they can get into! We pretty much watch her all the time.

Good luck with everything and are there any pics?!  :D

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Since he is so young and you are crate training, the one thing IMO I would be doing is getting him used to his crate.  I would if you need to do something around the house, put him in his crate with maybe a treat (kong) or chew toy.  This way you are doing your thing, and his is spending time in what is going to be "his" safe place.  Then when you are done, let him out to play.    This will get him familar with his crate at a young age as well as not only think its for nite nite time.

I have read that you give him one room for "freedom".   And as he gets older and gains trust you add on to the freedom areas.   I think most start with the kitchen since its usually is a hard surface and in case of any accidents easy to clean.

Good Luck, pups are a lot of work, just keep at it:)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
time and patience! that is the best thing i can give. He will have to learn play time and non play time. he is young yet though and wants to be with mommy. dont feel bad about kenneling him when not there or even times when you are there. he will get used to his kennel and end up loving it. The kennel is going to be the safest thing for him since he is so young.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Just spend as much time as you can with him, that's all he can ask for!  Sounds like you are doing great.  Congrats...even if you are a Colts fan.    :)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
when i left this morning and put him in his cage i put the radio on so i hope that that helps, and he has a rope toy and a kong w/ a treat in it

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Just becareful what toys/treats you leave him with.  Even at 4 months, Oggie chokes on all sorts of things that look harmless.  I actually won't put anything in his crate when he's alone other than a kong because I just don't trust anything else.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hey... the colts r undefeated and dungy is a little good luck charm

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Soccergk1987\";p=\"42939 said:
hey... the colts r undefeated and dungy is a little good luck charm
So are the Patriots!  The Colts won't be undefeated after the Patriots dominate them next sunday.     8)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
[quote="sully\";p=\"42936":cq0roppp]Just becareful what toys/treats you leave him with.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ugh lol no i wish i didnt put that toy in lol... i just put his favorite one in so that it would keep him occupied... so does anyone know about this bell thing to potty train a dog.  When could i start doing that and when will he start telling me he has to go instead of me just taking him out every so often or when he looks like he is gonna have to go.

P.S.  Patriots r going down, they havent played anyone and in two weeks when they do, that 0 in the loss column will turn into a 1 lol

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Congratulations!  He's such a cutie!  Lola used to nip at our shoes and pants leg too when she was little and wanted to play....they outgrow it, takes time, but they do!  

P.S. Have to agree...the Colts are going down on Sunday...it's revenge time!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts