Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. I have been looking for sometime now for two good dog beds. I found a great corner dog bed, but it was expensive and it's too large for the room. I bought it for Guido when we first got him, but Macy quickly took over that and he's stuck on her old bed which is now flat as a pancake. :thumbdown:

So, I have been on a search for two matching beds that will keep their fluff and has a cover that can be washed. I really don't want to spend more than $50 each. I thought I would post this to see what everyone else has and what their puppies like so I don't keep buying beds that suck. Macy likes to sleep curled up, but Guido is all spread out.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I have never had luck with dog beds..Chloe has destroyed them all..She now has taken over ownership of our king size bed ..Hubby and I just ask permission to sleep there at night.

·
Registered
780 Posts
After going through several purchased beds we started making our own.  We buy one of the twin sized foam mattress toppers (can get them at Walmart, Kmart, etc in the bedding section, they are tan colored and are made for people who have to stay in bed alot to help prevent bed sores, etc. usually around 10-15 dollars).

I cut it in half and buy fleece (usually try to get it at the end of season when it is on sale).  Can't remember what the exact measurments are but I usually get 2-4 yards of fleece (you can also use denim or any other sturdy fabric your dog likes).  I place the fleece around the piece of foam leaving about 1 inch overlap and then turn the fabric with right sides together and stitch the two sides, one end will not need stitched because it will be the fold.  For the open end where the foam will go I use a strip of velcro stitched on, I usually leave a small flap so I can fold the velcro over kind of like an envelope.  The cover can be removed and washed easily and if the foam gets old or the dog has an accident you can replace it.  

The total cost for TWO beds is around 20.00 to 30.00 depending on if I can get the fleece on sale or clearance.  I am NOT a sewing expert and can't read a pattern to save my life but this is just two simple stitched sides and then the velcro stitched on, since I use fleece I also don't have to worry about any of the fabric fraying so I don't have to do any folding over and stitching to stop fray.  

Our puppies liked to pull and play with the mats so of course they needed to be watched when using them but around 1 year and they have never bothered them again, just crash out on them.  I made a larger one that fit all three of our dogs for in the bedroom, they all just laid together on it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a good idea too. I made Macy's first bed when we got her. I just used two pillows and tied fleece in little strips around it, but the strips slowly deteriorated.

My mom sews a lot and her new project is making stylish dog collars. I bet I could rope her into making them some beds, she loves her grandpuppies!  :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well for Meigs believe it or not I found a really nice one at family dollar. It was a $30 bed priced for $15. It has cotton on one side and fleece on the other. A removable cover for washing. It is great. I would take it out when I knew he would be in there for a long while to prevent accidents on it but he is doing GREAT with the accidents in his crate. His crate is right next to our bed so at night he just whines to go potty and I take him out. He has been sleeping all through the night since about the 1st week.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Very interesting ideas you all have come up with for beds...I have 2, but nobody sleeps in them anymore..Angel sometimes gets a wild hair up her butt and decises to drag them around the house, but that's about it, oh yea, she uses them as headrests....Having said that, I like Boxerloves's idea for beds, that would be real simple to make and not that expensive either...And yes, I do sew, just don't do much anymore...But I'm going to copy and paste her idea to pass on for others... :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Does the foam take to being washed?  My youngest son is very allergic to dogs (we found this out 4 months after we got Chloe) and everything has to be laundered that the dog has touched at least once a week.  

Right now she sleeps in a fleece blanket in the bottom of the crate, but she has about torn all the edging piece off of it and its about to make its way to the trash after about a year of use.  Plus - you can still hear her toe nails against the plastic floor in the crate - so if she moves in the middle of the night, she wakes us up.

·
Registered
110 Posts
We have been on the dog bed search too.  We currently just have one of those big dog pillows, but Tug had rather be in one of the recliners or our bed!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
[quote="ssimmons99\";p=\"17736":1r7jh9hx]Does the foam take to being washed?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Usually while i invest in dog beds on crazysales, it is actually fine until it happens to be washed the first time. Then, it is just a bundled mess of chunks of stuffing rather than retains its shape. That is untrue with this bed, and it is the cheapest bed I have ever purchased. We do enjoy the front load dryer and washer. I washed your bed, input it with the dryer, and yes it still looks brand spanking new! !! This dog bed holds its color and shape and looks new wash after wash.

·
Registered
47 Posts
We bought a Baby crib matress! With matress plastic protector and matress cover. So easy to clean and never wet so no accumulated moisture in bed. Very inexpensive compared to dog beds here in canada. Second hand crib matresses are very very cheap too some are even free:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
What we found to be very helpful for the crate is an oversized memory foam bath mat - you know one like you would put on the floor in front of your tub. It is soft and cushioned and has the rubber grip on bottom so it doesn’t move around and slide in his crate and can be thrown in the wash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
:comehereyou: Still Looking? actually em lil bit late to reply U because just arrived here , well have U checked on Nest Bedding Coupons, because I bought from there, because here all sizes of bed and mattresses are easily available, please check there if you want in future.

·
Registered
1 Posts
promocode

The coupon outlet is a leading destination for savings, we go far beyond coupons, discounts, and deals on couponoutlet.org to give you any kind of imaginable coupon. We aim to build one ultimate destination for saving you time and money daily, and also to provide creative advertising media alternatives, including mobile coupons and codes. Couponoutlet.org brings together all the premium website offers. The recent coupon codes, item, deals, discounts, are served every day. We know that we're not the only website for online coupons, but we believe we're the best. Here are some reasons for this:
We have approximately more than 30,000 stores and brands on our website with all new coupons updated daily.
In nearly every category you can find more than 100+ deals on our site.
We rely on a unique technological balance, to achieve the highest quality in every coupon.
No matter which brand or store you are interested in, there is a good chance that we have a great deal to do for it.
We are allowing you to save your time and money in search of coupons and deals of your favourite Brands and Stores.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts