Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still having trouble with Willow jumping up (not usually on me, but literally everyone else). I have to tell kids not to pet her even though she's the friendliest dog, I don't want the child to get a paw in the face! She's not the biggest dog but it's bad behavior and she could still definitely hurt someone. We've tried various methods already, knee to the chest, turn around and ignore, have her sit before she can get pets (she sits until the person's hand is on her and then jumps up. We've been trying this for awhile now, doesn't seem to be working). She just gets so excited and any training we've done goes out the window.

Wondering if anyone has used an e-collar for teaching not to jump? Does the low setting hurt the dog? I don't want to hurt her but she needs to understand that it's not ok to jump up on people. Is there a vibrate setting? Does that tend to work? She'll be a year and a half in December.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
For "this" put me down as a "No" for the "E-Collar." I don't have an issue with "E-Collars" per se but I don't like them for this issue. Boxers jumping on "other people" is pretty much par for the course ... it was the last "Behavioral" Issue" I had to address with my "Struddell!" :)

I suppose ... I really need to do a thread on "Down!" That is how I finally stopped that jumping crap with her on "other people!" The "Knee" thing stopped her from jumping on me ... but it did not stop her from jumping on other people!

But it was ... great fun to watch ... my clumsy, awkward friends "try" and do the "knee thing with her, with instructions! It worked kinda like this.:

An E-Collar for "this" ... would be a hammer! And that's not really how I roll. I much prefer "control!"

But training a "Down" will work but it does take time. Training "Place and doing Sit on the Dog" helps train "Calmness into a Dog!" And since it's a "Boxers" ... that should be done in any case! And I train that with every dog ... just as a matter of course ... details on that are here.:
http://www.boxerforums.com/training/183298-fearful-anxious-flat-crazy-place-command.html

But ... those take time. If you want to stop this crap ... two viable options ... first at uh "Zero Cost" and easy to transfer to others is the hand in the face option!

Stop Your Dog from Jumping Up

And so you know ... Lou Castle ... is the "E-Collar" guy! If you register on his site ... you can "ask him!" And I'd say ... since he does not recommend an E-Collar for jumping up ... it must not be that great an idea???

But plan B as it were is also a "Pet Convincer" ... :
Pet Convincer.com

It's a bicycle Air Pump so you can find it at your local bicycle repair shop for half that cost are you may already have one??? It's a viable plan B as it were. :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Chip!!! I will try the hand in the face technique (and try to get my friends to do it to her as well) and see how it goes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts