Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know another food question...I just can't seem to make this stuff stick in my head.

I have researched the foods and gone from what others have said.  In one of my posts a while back Liz had advized me to put Jersey on large breed puppy formula until 4 months old and then switch to an all life stages food.  I am taking this advice and am stuck between two different foods.  I looked over the list of recommended dog foods in the food tips and diet info section of the forum, and the two I am stuck bewteen are Eagle Pack Holistic Large & Giant Breed Puppy and Blue Buffalo Puppy Large Breed Chicken & Brown Rice.  However, I have decided that when I switch her to the all life stages, I am going to use Canidae.  So my question to you all is do any of you have a preference on either of these foods? and if anyone can recommend which one they would use or I should use.  Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Hmm, personally if it were me and I had 2 dogs and a puppy in the house I would definitely want them all on the same food. Much easier. I would start feeding Canidae All Life Stages now to Jersey, Roxy, and Astro. There is no reason to feed a puppy formula, an all life stages is just that, all stages. If all your babies do good on it, that's great! Super easy. I would give the Canidae a try :D

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
tootsie\";p=\"30592 said:
Hmm, personally if it were me and I had 2 dogs and a puppy in the house I would definitely want them all on the same food. Much easier. I would start feeding Canidae All Life Stages now to Jersey, Roxy, and Astro...
Feeding them all different food doesn't really bother me.  I mean, I can't really do anything about it anyway because Astro is on a special diet.  He is only allowed to eat venison or rabbit and the food he has to be on can only have one source of protein in it (he has colitis), so I'm used to feeding all my babies different food.

I was thinking about switching Roxy to Canidae, and having her and Jersey on it.  Roxy is currently on Nature's Variety Instinct, which I absolutely love.  It's grain-free and she has put on some pounds so she is at a healthy weight now (she was 1

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
My sister and brother-in-law use the Eagle Pack (not the puppy formula) for their English Springer Spaniel and they love it for him as it is the only food that gives him a really shiny coat.  I don't know about Blue Buffalo and Canidae didn't work for Kiah. Hopefully you can find one food that works for everyone.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Ooh, didn't realize Astro has colitis.    :(   You could probably put Jersey on the food that Roxy is eating. You just want to watch the protein and fat content. Too much can lead to bone and joint issues down the road. I prefer to stay around 20-28% protein and about 11-17% fat. I don't know how much the Natures Variety has in it. I guess I could look it up!  8O  Just a lazy moment right now I guess! Good luck finding a food that works for Jersey.  :)

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Altho Blue is a great food, I think that's what Sharon is feeding Fiona if I remember right, I had a lot of problems with loose stools, even Samson, the iron stomach had problems...They loved the food, but those loosey goosey stools I couldn't handle....Don't know about Eagle Pack, that one I'm not familiar with.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Not familar with eagle pack, but my first puppy Chloe was on Blue. She loved it and it worked so well with her. I wanted to stay with Blue, but both Reese and Savannah will not touch it so i had to switch. I would switch back in a hear beat if the girls would eat it though!

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I think every food has a different effect on every dog.   My dogs do horrible on Cali Natural where others do fine, and vice versa.

If you have a food (good one) that they do well on, I would try to find a brand that uses the same or close to the same ingredient content.  Most human grade kibble is in all life stages formula.

I have no exp with Eagle pack, so cannot help you there.  Blue Buff is a great food, but sold via petsmart in my area and they jack up the price because its their top of the line food along with RC and Nat. Bal.

So I would also check on price too.  Both food are good, and good luck with your switch.

·
Registered
253 Posts
eagle pack is great, but i wouldn't use large and giant breed. Stick with eagle pack holistic medium breed adult and puppy chicken meal.

Eagle pack holistic is great stuff for your dogs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts