Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my boy tango just turned 12 weeks old two days ago.  We would like to get his ears cropped but are worried that they don't stand up enough by themselves.  

I don't want a show crop but something in between like Oden's.  He is great looking.  Can I get some input from those that have cropped whether or not it might work.  I am willing to put in the time and effort but I don't want the failed crop look.  Here are some pics of Tango.

They were with my camera phone so not the best quality.  I wasn't making any noise so his ears do stand up a little bit more than in the pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
780 Posts
I can't help much with cropping because we have decided the pain isn't worth it for the look for us.  You would want to research some of the local vets and get some referrals if they give them out.  There are many vets who won't do the cropping anymore but you should be able to find someone who can give you some information on it here.

Your Tango is a very handsome and cute boxer boy!  

We have only had one of our boxers cropped out of the 4 we have had and that was our first one, we decided not to have any more cropped because of the pain the first one went through.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I'd check with your local AKC Kennel Clubs, your breeder and local dog show people (by that I mean people that have experience with having their dog's ears routinely done-not just one animal) as they should be able to refer you to a good vet that does ear cropping.  You can also contact Dobie and Great Dane people too as they would surely have information for you.  Also ask them about aftercare and racking.  You will have to do that for several weeks, maybe months, in order for the ears to stand properly.  Mole skin is also helpful in helping to train the ears of dobies and breeds where the ears stand erect naturally.  Here is a link that may be of use for you to read which leaves out the emotional controversy of whether to crop or not.  Hope it helps.

http://www.cinemaboxers.com/croppinginfo.htm

·
Registered
61 Posts
Talk to your vet let him/her look at the dog, and they will be able to tell you how good of a candidate the dog is for cropping, and the length of the crop they should be able to make but looking at the dogs ear structure and how they lay.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I think he's too old now? I don't want to ruin anything but the vets around here wont do it after 11 weeks...

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Flutterby\";p=\"22161 said:
I think he's too old now? I don't want to ruin anything but the vets around here wont do it after 11 weeks.
I read that as well. Apparently between 9-11 weeks is when you should have the surgery if you decide to...

Tango is a gorgeous pup btw!!!  :)

·
Registered
270 Posts
AAWWWW...he is soo cute!  My boyfriend and I decided to have neither of our boxer's ears cropped.  We talked extensively with our vet. and together, came to the conclusion that it would be for the best to not crop.  I wish you the best of luck.  Your pup really is a cute one as is!!!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Cropping is a personal decision. I would suggest to jump on it soon though because most will not crop after 12 weeks. I dont do them anymore at all, stopped last year.  He is cute that is for sure!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think there are different preferences between different vets, I've heard some say the longer you wait the better, some say the younger.. Kaydie is 22 weeks old, and scheduled for her cropping in the next couple of weeks. Tyson was also done around that same age.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Tango....of course it is your decision but i have to say he is absolutly gorgeous with natural ears!!! Hubby and i prefer natural ears though. Hubby prefers natural tail over cropped as well. Layla came with tail done but Chance has his natural tail and hubby was happy about that. But your baby is just precious with natural ears!! Good luck with whatever decision you make!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all the replies and nice comments.  I talked to one vet and he told me he like to wait until they are 7 months old because the ear is still growing.  

Another vet told me we should put him on Pet-Cal and work with his ears the way they are and to come back in one month.  Is this recommended?  I have heard mixed reviews on Pet-Cal but it came straight from the vet.  I just want him to grow up strong and healthy.

I don't know why there is such a big discrepancy.  Is it because the older vets used to wait longer?  

I love the way Tango looks but have always wanted the traditional boxer look if I ever got one.  Whatever happens we will love him no matter what.  

I appreciate the comments and help.  I am glad I joined this forum and hope to get to know everyone better.

Is there anyone in this forum from the Kansas area?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Yikes do NOT take your vets advice!!!!!!!!! 7 months is way to old to do croppings!! Youd be luck to find a vet to do them after 12 weeks around here.  The longer you wait though the harder its going to be to get them to stand!

·
Registered
126 Posts
glaicers ears was never done but her tail was and i like them floppy myself and i now know shes too old if i want them done anyways but watching her run and seeing them flop around is so cute.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Yea, I think he might be too old.  I've heard that most vets only do it between 9 and 12 weeks.  I don't know where you live, but I live in Central Eastern Jersey, and the only vet that still does them in this state (that I know of) will do it up to 4 months (16 weeks).

·
Registered
302 Posts
Odin's ears were cropped at about 11 weeks.  Most vets I've seen want to crop between 10-12 weeks of age, and all the vets we researched had a "drop dead, don't crop" maximum age limit of 16 weeks.  Sorry, but 7-months is too old to crop.  Yeah... ears are still growing before 7-months, and that's why you crop well-before 7-months... if you wait till the ears are too big, they won't stand ever.  The younger you crop the easier it is to get them to stand... Odin's stood with only one week of taping, and his ears are fully healed and standing (long by now).  Odin is only 6-months old right now... I couldn't imagine taking him in a month from now to START the cropping process... that's crazy... don't listen to any vet that thinks you crop at 7-months.

If you're going to crop at all, you need to act NOW.  12 weeks is already getting into the "red-zone" of 'too-late-to-crop'.  Under no circumstances should you crop after 16 weeks of age if you want them to stand properly.  Getting a vet to do it after 12 weeks will be tough enough I think (beyond the strange vet who thinks you do it at 7-months).

Good luck.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Obviously, cropping is a personal decision, and as you can tell, we all have our own thoughts on that...Even tho I currently own 2 boxers that are cropped, my preference is to let them stay natural....Ok, if you decide to crop, it needs to be done NOW! But, I wouldn't madly scramble and pick the first place you find..Talk to the vet, ask for references, see pics of before & after....How your pups ears lay now, has absolutely no bearing on his crop..One thing I can tell you, if the ear is thick, it will take more work to get that finished lovely ear. Angels are a bit thick and Rhonda had to work hard on hers, even now the one ear has this cute little flop to it....

Your pup is very good looking and if you were to start massaging his ears and working to get that flop just right, he would have a really nice natural ear when he gets older...Told ya I like the natural look  :)

1 - 20 of 41 Posts