Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Ear Crop Help

7K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  Tango 
#1 ·
Hello, my boy tango just turned 12 weeks old two days ago.  We would like to get his ears cropped but are worried that they don't stand up enough by themselves.  

I don't want a show crop but something in between like Oden's.  He is great looking.  Can I get some input from those that have cropped whether or not it might work.  I am willing to put in the time and effort but I don't want the failed crop look.  Here are some pics of Tango.

They were with my camera phone so not the best quality.  I wasn't making any noise so his ears do stand up a little bit more than in the pics.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't help much with cropping because we have decided the pain isn't worth it for the look for us.  You would want to research some of the local vets and get some referrals if they give them out.  There are many vets who won't do the cropping anymore but you should be able to find someone who can give you some information on it here.

Your Tango is a very handsome and cute boxer boy!  

We have only had one of our boxers cropped out of the 4 we have had and that was our first one, we decided not to have any more cropped because of the pain the first one went through.

#3 ·
I'd check with your local AKC Kennel Clubs, your breeder and local dog show people (by that I mean people that have experience with having their dog's ears routinely done-not just one animal) as they should be able to refer you to a good vet that does ear cropping.  You can also contact Dobie and Great Dane people too as they would surely have information for you.  Also ask them about aftercare and racking.  You will have to do that for several weeks, maybe months, in order for the ears to stand properly.  Mole skin is also helpful in helping to train the ears of dobies and breeds where the ears stand erect naturally.  Here is a link that may be of use for you to read which leaves out the emotional controversy of whether to crop or not.  Hope it helps.

http://www.cinemaboxers.com/croppinginfo.htm

#7 ·
AAWWWW...he is soo cute!  My boyfriend and I decided to have neither of our boxer's ears cropped.  We talked extensively with our vet. and together, came to the conclusion that it would be for the best to not crop.  I wish you the best of luck.  Your pup really is a cute one as is!!!

#10 ·
I think there are different preferences between different vets, I've heard some say the longer you wait the better, some say the younger.. Kaydie is 22 weeks old, and scheduled for her cropping in the next couple of weeks. Tyson was also done around that same age.

#11 ·
Tango....of course it is your decision but i have to say he is absolutly gorgeous with natural ears!!! Hubby and i prefer natural ears though. Hubby prefers natural tail over cropped as well. Layla came with tail done but Chance has his natural tail and hubby was happy about that. But your baby is just precious with natural ears!! Good luck with whatever decision you make!!!

#12 ·
Thank you for all the replies and nice comments.  I talked to one vet and he told me he like to wait until they are 7 months old because the ear is still growing.  

Another vet told me we should put him on Pet-Cal and work with his ears the way they are and to come back in one month.  Is this recommended?  I have heard mixed reviews on Pet-Cal but it came straight from the vet.  I just want him to grow up strong and healthy.

I don't know why there is such a big discrepancy.  Is it because the older vets used to wait longer?  

I love the way Tango looks but have always wanted the traditional boxer look if I ever got one.  Whatever happens we will love him no matter what.  

I appreciate the comments and help.  I am glad I joined this forum and hope to get to know everyone better.

Is there anyone in this forum from the Kansas area?

#13 ·
Yikes do NOT take your vets advice!!!!!!!!! 7 months is way to old to do croppings!! Youd be luck to find a vet to do them after 12 weeks around here.  The longer you wait though the harder its going to be to get them to stand!

#15 ·
Yea, I think he might be too old.  I've heard that most vets only do it between 9 and 12 weeks.  I don't know where you live, but I live in Central Eastern Jersey, and the only vet that still does them in this state (that I know of) will do it up to 4 months (16 weeks).

#16 ·
Odin's ears were cropped at about 11 weeks.  Most vets I've seen want to crop between 10-12 weeks of age, and all the vets we researched had a "drop dead, don't crop" maximum age limit of 16 weeks.  Sorry, but 7-months is too old to crop.  Yeah... ears are still growing before 7-months, and that's why you crop well-before 7-months... if you wait till the ears are too big, they won't stand ever.  The younger you crop the easier it is to get them to stand... Odin's stood with only one week of taping, and his ears are fully healed and standing (long by now).  Odin is only 6-months old right now... I couldn't imagine taking him in a month from now to START the cropping process... that's crazy... don't listen to any vet that thinks you crop at 7-months.

If you're going to crop at all, you need to act NOW.  12 weeks is already getting into the "red-zone" of 'too-late-to-crop'.  Under no circumstances should you crop after 16 weeks of age if you want them to stand properly.  Getting a vet to do it after 12 weeks will be tough enough I think (beyond the strange vet who thinks you do it at 7-months).

Good luck.

#19 ·
Obviously, cropping is a personal decision, and as you can tell, we all have our own thoughts on that...Even tho I currently own 2 boxers that are cropped, my preference is to let them stay natural....Ok, if you decide to crop, it needs to be done NOW! But, I wouldn't madly scramble and pick the first place you find..Talk to the vet, ask for references, see pics of before & after....How your pups ears lay now, has absolutely no bearing on his crop..One thing I can tell you, if the ear is thick, it will take more work to get that finished lovely ear. Angels are a bit thick and Rhonda had to work hard on hers, even now the one ear has this cute little flop to it....

Your pup is very good looking and if you were to start massaging his ears and working to get that flop just right, he would have a really nice natural ear when he gets older...Told ya I like the natural look  :)

#21 ·
Yes 7 Months is Def. WAY to old to have the ears done.  The cartiledge in the ear has already formed and not only is it a more painful surgery when they are older, its not sucessful since most of the way they stand correctly is proper after care when they are young.   After care as in taping, posting all while the cartilage is growing but in an upward manner, not folded over.

See another vet please!    When searching for a vet in an ear crop is like selecting a plastic surgeon.  You need to do some research, see their crops ask people who's crops you like for a recommendation.   Do not go by price either.   Worst thing I hate to see is a nice boxer with a pit crop!  

As for the Pet-Cal, not sure why you would need some calcium supplements if feeding a proper human grade kibble.   I think by using some cheese as treats, and yogurt, along with the kibble, you should be fine.   Not sure the reasoning behind Pet-Cal since I do not deal with cropped ears, but I dont see why you would suppliment to get them to stand, that comes from proper aftercare as in taping, and posting.

Good Luck:)

#22 ·
One more question for those that have already done crops before.  Looking at Tango's pictures are you able to tell whether or not he is a good candidate?  If they lay over more than usual do I have a good chance with the correct after care and crop?

I found a vet but he wants to wait another month to see how his ears look.  Would you guys wait another month and see how it goes or look for another vet?  I am running out of options.

I did talk to a vet about 45 minutes away.  They like to do the crop between 8-10 weeks but would do the crop if the ear has not already "layed over" she called it.  Do Tango's ears look layed over already?

Thanks for the help.

#23 ·
Honestly, I would not wait another month - that puts it at 16 months, too old.     You need to do it asap if you want it done.

I would contact vets, see pics of their crops and go in for a consult.

To my eye, your dogs had nice long natural laying ears.   Those are hard to get in NA lines so personally I'd keep them natural.  They are beautiful and many people would kills for nice natural ear leather like that.

But also it depends on the cartilage on how they will stand.  If there is not that much, then you may end up with a short crop / pitlike which is unattractive (IMO).   Its just too hard to tell from pics and I am not experienced in ear cropping.

#24 ·
Here is a great answer to finding the right Vet to crop  -

http://iupucbio2.iupui.edu/bml/cropdock.html

How do I select a veterinarian for ear cropping?

The best way to choose a veterinarian to crop your dog's ears is to ask the advice of your breeder and several other people who have been through the procedure with their own dogs. Veterinarians who do many ear crops for breeders who show their dogs will be the most experienced. More experience means that your dog will get the best crop as atraumatically as possible and be under anesthesia for the least amount of time. Vets who crop ears regularly are also very familiar with the unique anesthetic needs of puppies. They will also be the best at providing the aftercare that is so important at creating the look that is desired. A perfect crop with improper aftercare will not give the desired result, nor will a bad crop with the best aftercare. Both are equally important in achieving a successful outcome.

(Unfortunately, there are people who have no business cropping ears, that continue to do so. These are the people who give cropping a bad name and cause pets unneccessary pain. I have seen the outcome of some of these crops. Sometimes, the wrong side of the ear has been cut off. Sometimes the ear has been taped so tightly that the entire ear has lost its blood supply and has died. I have seen infected ears from poor aftercare technique. I firmly believe that all of these mishaps could have been prevented if proper consideration had been given in choosing an experienced veterinarian whose special interest was ear cropping. Each owner of the animals mentioned above chose the veterinarian they did based solely on the cost of the procedure and not on the experience of the surgeon. Because ear cropping is an art as well as a surgical skill, it is not something that is done well by many otherwise skilled surgeons. The amount of money spent by the owners of the above pets to attempt to reconstruct the damaged ears far exceeded the initial savings that was realized by choosing the lowest priced crop. In many cases, the most experienced ear croppers prices lie somewhere in the middle of the range. The best is not necessarily the most expensive nor the least.)

#25 ·
Seriously... THE YOUNGER THE BETTER on ear cropping.

Not sure where your vets got their licenses from, but I've got it from multiple sources (like multiple/multiple) that ear croppings are generally done between 8-12 weeks, and almost nobody should do it after 16 weeks... but the "prime window" is between two to three months of age.

If you want to crop, you need to get on the ball and get your dog scheduled with someone who knows what they are doing, or (as the saying goes) forever hold your peace and leave them floppy.

Odin was done at 11-weeks, and they turned out great... but the older the dog when it's done, the harder it is to get them to stand up, and the risk of it being more painfull on the dog.

Here's Odin shortly after being cropped... he only needed one week of taping after the procedure.

#26 ·
Thanks for the information Hannah.  I spoke with a local boxer owner.  She had her crop done at a vet in town.  I spoke with the vets office today.  They stated they need to see him today.  I asked the vet if they specialize in any breeds for cropping.  They told me they do mainly Boxers and Dobermans.  They stated they also do some pit bulls but the majority is Boxers or Dobe's.  They told me Tango is at the limit that they will do according to age.  

I guess I will see what this vet thinks.  If they don't think they will work, we will leave them and be happy.  There is no need to have Tango go through it all and have a failed crop.

I don't think there are any local boxer clubs in my area.  I pretty much live in a small area.  Middle of Kansas not a lot here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.