Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
It depends on the vet; ours does them at 10-12 weeks.  Be sure you find a vet who has a lot of experience in cropping, and does the style of crop you want.  Generally there will be 1-2 vets in the area that the majority of breeders use - check with your local Boxer club for a referral.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
We use NeoPredef powder on the cut edges of the ear, it helps with the itching as they're healing.  I've never used a cone-collar after a crop, they tend to increase anxiety too much IME.  (If your dog doesn't mind the collar, that's a different matter, of course.)  We just keep the nails trimmed and smooth (we use a Dremel, but a file for acrylic nails works well, too) to minimize catching of stitches, try to distract the puppy whenever we see them scratching, and are liberal with the powder.  (We also have a 'granny-dog' who cleans all the ears for us, and I'm a firm believer in the healing power of dog saliva. :wink: )

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yes.  The very latest I've heard of it being done is 16 weeks, and that is at least a month past what most vets will do.  By five months the cartilage has started hardening, and even if you'd find a vet who will do the crop, it will be more painful to the dog, and the chances of the ears standing are slim.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.