Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Ear Cropping...

5K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  Mastray 
#1 ·
I'm new here and as you can see, this is my first post. We recently purchased our first Boxer puppy, Chino, and he is a healthy 11 week old male. Upon delivery, the breeder informed us that if we were interested in cropping his ears that we would need to do so within a week or so. After scheduling his first appt. with the vet, I inquired about the procedure and pricing for ear cropping. After the receptionist explained the procedure, I decided to forego the cropping because of the unneccessary pain that would be inflicted upon Chino (not saying this to be offensive, JMHO). My question is, how many of you have decided not to crop ears and do you think that refusing to crop the ears of your Boxer is a negative thing? I am asking this b/c my SIL and her DH came by to meet Chino and he commented that he had never seen a Boxer with uncropped ears...and although I am unwilling to change my mindset, I am curious about other Boxer owners' thoughts...

Thanks and I look forward to speaking with you all in the future!!

#3 ·
Re: Ear Docking...

Welcome to you and Chino!

I personally prefer the uncropped look. I have seen many show boxers that look very majestic and regal with crops, but I still prefer floppy.
So, no I don't think refusing to dock the ears of your Boxer is a negative thing, it is still a personal preference!

#4 ·

Most of the boxer owners on this forum have boxer babies with natural ears. It's hard to believe that your SIL and DH have NEVER seen a boxer with undocked ears. Also, many European countries have banned cropping of ears (and tail docking), so it's really not uncommon at all.

#6 ·

CosmosMommy\";p=\"87230 said:
Most of the boxer owners on this forum have boxer babies with natural ears. It's hard to believe that your SIL and DH have NEVER seen a boxer with undocked ears. Also, many European countries have banned cropping of ears (and tail docking), so it's really not uncommon at all.
That's great to hear, b/c when I heard the details of the procedure, I almost yelled NO...I just didn't want to do that to him...definitely a personal preference though!

#9 ·
When my GF had the litter in to get the dew claws and tails done they said that they couldn't do the ears. Apparently it is only done in health for health concerns by vets while other places might do it but it is considered cosmetic.
Personaly I preffer floppy, especialy on females.

#16 ·
Almost everyone here is floppy.  I'm a floppy owner and will likely stay that way.  However I've been working with a few breeders in WI and went to a dog show this weekend and the boxers with cropped ears were darn impressive.  You can show them either way (cropped or floppy) but I didn't see one in the ring that was floppy.

#19 ·
I like both but Odin's ears are cropped. Depending on where you are from it can be rare to see boxers with natural ears. I honestly have never seen floppy eared boxers till a couple of years ago but where I'm from I don't even recall seeing ONE boxer. All the ones I saw were on TV being shown. If and when we get a girl, I want her ears floppy... but I just couldn't imagine Odin with floppy ears...  :)

Welcome to the forum!

G
#21 ·
I got Jetta at 6 weeks- so I had plenty of time to decide on crop vs. no crop.  We decided on floppy because 1.  my husband is dead set against it, he feels it is cruel to put them through that.  and 2.  I really like floppy...however...I really think with her funky ears she would have looked better cropped...heck they stand up 1/2 the time on their own, lol.  Bo we got at 9 months, so the decision was already made for him, but...I am glad...I prefer floppy over cropped anyways...but...I do like how the male show dogs look with that nice tall show crop..just personally wouldn't have a dog with one.  Welcome to the forum and it sounds like your baby found a wonderful, loving, and caring home.

#22 ·
Welcome to BF and good luck with your first puppy!

I prefer floppy personally, they give that puppy look and are expressive too.  I would never get a puppies ears cropped b/c I don't want to put them through the pain just for a look, and they might not even stand right anyway.  However i think it can look nice and wouldn't have a problem adopting a dog that already had cropped ears.

#23 ·
I have both cropped and uncropped; overall I still prefer cropped, but the greater issue for me is that the ear should suit the head.  Many Boxers from long-cropped lines tend to have hound-ish ears if left floppy, which I personally find rather unattractive (and others have ears that are just begging to be cropped, and practically stand up even without the surgery!).  I'm fortunate that my US-bred uncropped girl has smaller ears; and of course my UK girl is far better suited to uncropped ears, since that particular choice was taken away in the UK over 100 years ago.  The description of the surgery can be a little gruesome, depending on the agenda of the person giving it - but I've always been more disturbed at the thought of removing most of the reproductive organs (and a large part of the endocrine system) than taking off a portion of an ear flap, myself. :)

#24 ·
I say stay with the flop! All though some of the males look very majestic with cropped ears, we learned the hard way that its not worth the chance of losing your beloved little guy!  Our biggest fear was realized about a week ago when our 12 week old pup died after ear crop surgery  :cry:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.