Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Ear Cropping...

5K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  Mastray 
#1 ·
I'm new here and as you can see, this is my first post. We recently purchased our first Boxer puppy, Chino, and he is a healthy 11 week old male. Upon delivery, the breeder informed us that if we were interested in cropping his ears that we would need to do so within a week or so. After scheduling his first appt. with the vet, I inquired about the procedure and pricing for ear cropping. After the receptionist explained the procedure, I decided to forego the cropping because of the unneccessary pain that would be inflicted upon Chino (not saying this to be offensive, JMHO). My question is, how many of you have decided not to crop ears and do you think that refusing to crop the ears of your Boxer is a negative thing? I am asking this b/c my SIL and her DH came by to meet Chino and he commented that he had never seen a Boxer with uncropped ears...and although I am unwilling to change my mindset, I am curious about other Boxer owners' thoughts...

Thanks and I look forward to speaking with you all in the future!!

#27 ·
Welcome to the forum! Ear cropping can be a touchy subject with some and I believe the reason your family may have not seen natural ears is for the longest time that was a very accepted practice to crop. Now, more than ever you see a lot of natural ears, which is my personal choice, even tho both of mine are cropped...A good crop can accentuate their features, but a bad crop can do just the opposite....Now you can even show with natural ears, which I think is great

#28 ·
luv_R_boxer\";p=\"87378 said:
I say stay with the flop! All though some of the males look very majestic with cropped ears, we learned the hard way that its not worth the chance of losing your beloved little guy!  Our biggest fear was realized about a week ago when our 12 week old pup died after ear crop surgery  :cry:
I'm so sorry to hear that... was it due to the anesthesia?

Some one recently posted that they're puppy didn't survive going in and getting spayed...
It's so sad when we try to do what we think is best for our loved ones and sometimes it just doesn't always work out that way.  :(

#29 ·
Basically yes,  the vet said it was the "strangest" thing the surgery was done they stopped the isoflurane gas, switched to pure oxygen, this is when most dogs start to wake up and come "out of it" but our little boy never did he actually stopped breathing.  The vet told me they tried everything to revive him but nothing worked.  I know there is always that chance but prior to surgery but they make it sound so minimal that "it could never happen to you" but you never know!!  I feel awful thinking if wouldn't have choose to crop his ears then he would still be with us.  The vet told us it more than likely it would have been the same result at 6mo when we were going to have him nuetered.  It could have been congenital or he was just one of the small % that doesn't do well with anestesia we will never know as I just could bring myself to having the necropsy done, it wouldn't change anything.  I did contact the breeder to let her know as she kept one of his sisters, maybe she will want to get more testing done  on her girl b/c of our experience.

#30 ·
Welcome!!
I am one of the cropped Boxer owners..I too spent many a day making this HUGE decision regarding my pup. But at 10 weeks, she looked like the Flying Nun, and the breeder told us, no amount of taping, or massaging would help this situation,due to the fact her ears are set so high up on her head. So we did the crop after picking about every breeder in Texas' brains on who was qualified to TOUCH my pup. Here is a picture of her post crop ( yes..she has to grow into those ears!! ), and one of the fly-away ears at about 10 weeks ( believe me they got higher each day! )... Please don't get me wrong..this was a personal desision..and I think ALL Boxers are beautifull ears up, or down...what a lovely breed we all deal with!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.