Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had to take Lola to the vet this morning.  The past few days she's been scratching her ears like crazy.  When I tried to clean them she'd freak out more than usual and I noticed a few cuts inside them.  Last night she scratched so bad that she drew blood!  I called this morning and got her in.  They said that she has a yeast infection in both ears again, she had it about 2 months ago.  The vet said that this could become an issue that occurs a lot and that she may have allergies also.  Just wondering if this is a common thing for boxers?  Anyone else have chronic ear infections?  They gave us medication drops and told us to clean her ears twice a week.  They also said we can use benadryl for the allergies....anyone know how much to give?  They never said.  
I feel so bad, she looked so miserable today.  Poor thing!  Besides that she's healthy and weighing in at 33 pounds!  Getting big!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Poor thing!  Dose of benadryl is one capsule for 25 pounds of dog.  Yeast can be helped by giving a tablespoon of coconut oil in the food twice a day for a few months.  It has helped mine.

Nano

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yeast infections are not uncommon, especially in dogs on grain-based diets.  She's too young for most grain-free kibbles, though (Timberwolf might have one that isn't too high in protein/fat....).  Yeasty ears are a symptom of an underlying issue; it may be that as she gets older and her immune system matures, she'll have less of a problem with it.  Aside from a diet change, the most successful thing for yeasty ears of which I've heard is Blue Power:
http://www.itsfortheanimals.com/BLUE.HTM

(There is also a pre-made formula available from www.urbancanine.com, which uses witch hazel as a base rather than alcohol; if you make your own, you could use the witch hazel as well - it does seem to be less irritating to the ears.)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I have not had any problems with Fiona's ears, but my lab had ear infections all the time because she would not stay out of the swimming pool.  Recommend cleaning twice a month with a half and half distilled vinager and water.  It smelled funny but worked great.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My Giant Schnauzer gets that all the time. The vet suggested we switch her food we did she eats solid gold now so far so good.

·
Registered
94 Posts
my mixed female just got back from the vets with an infection, caused by our boxer puppy chewing and slobbering in her ears (scratched and nasty) gave me the lotion drops and was told to clean her ears with standard baby wipes for 7-10 days (once a day) and this will clear up and then you can use the wipe a couple times a week. Now am cleaning Gus's ears to just to get him use to new stuff. It will clear up just will take time.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I use baby wipes once a week to clean Lilly's ears.  I also give her a tbsp of plain yogurt once or twice a week to keep the yeaties at bay.  Seems to work pretty well for her.

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
508 Posts
I hope she starts to feeling better and her ears get well. I think im goin to go clean the boys' ears, they arent going to like this too much.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Aaaahhh, poor Lola..Those ear problems can be pesky....You've been given some good advice on here, I really don't have anything to add...Hope she starts feeling better....I personally like the yogurt thing, mine get it all the time.... :)

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice.  She was feeling better by last night.  Running around and playing as usual.  I'm going to try everyone's suggestions and see what works.  I never thought of baby wipes to use on ears, I keep a box handy to wipe down her paws, and usually use cotton balls and solution in her ears.  I'll be giving the wipes a try....sounds easier!  Thanks everyone :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts