Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All! I am new to the Boxer Forum  I have a 3yr old Fawn boy that is has been having some ear troubles. It is only in his left ear. He is shaking it quite often. He is scratching around his ear to the point to where it is bleeding.  It is red and swollen inside. Both ears have a black look to them inside at the top inside.(It wont come off) I thought that it might be his food (he was on some cheap food) so I switched it to canidae. He has been on it for about a week and a half. It is not showing any signs of getting better. I give him 2 benadryl 25mg twice a day to help with it. Went to the vet and they gave him some roids to see if that would help. It did till he got off them.  I tried the search and didnt find what I wanted. THANKS IN ADVANCE

Ryan and my fawn TJ :)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
No idea what the black it - sharon may have a better indication (she's a vet tech)

Yeast in the ears has a funny smell, red irritable ears, and bothersome.    The Vet can take a swab and look under the microscope to see if its bacteria or yeast.   They will perscribe a med ear drop to take it away.  But always clean the ears.   I used a medicated ear cleaner I got from the vet (we have had ear issues).  I clean them once a week.   Also a yeast infection or bacteria untreated can lead to sever damage even hearing loss.

So any ear issues, I always recommend a check for mites, yeast and / or bacteria.  If not, then get something to stop the alergy and get on track with a food switch.  - sounds like what you are doing but the black stuff would concern me, if its not dried up scabs from itching.

G

·
0 Posts
I know that when Simba  (my dog at my mom's house) gets his years infections in his ears...he shakes his head, it smells bad, and he gets a blackish brown discharge from his ears...or maybe it could be earmites?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Ear cleaning tip and dogs love it -

Take gauze pads (2x2).  Soak the pads with an ear cleaner.   Stick a pad in each ear, flip the ear over (if natural) and massage.  The dogs ear canal is shaped in a "L" so you cannot do much damage by putting the gauze in the ear.  Massaging it make the squares on the guaze pick up particles, dirt and wax.  After about a minute pull out and discard.

Work great, but I would recomment the swab, then something like Otomax to clean weekly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Are earmites visible? I tried cleaning his ears out before with Bio-Groom Ear Cleaner. This dried them out and I didnt like that at all.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Yeah alergies are most likely the culprit, however always best to rule everything out  - (mites, yeast, bacteria).    Its hard to say its alergies, alergies to what?  Environmental, food etc, so best to rule out medical (IMO) then see if the food works, if not, then choose a food that is opposite in ingredients to what you were feeding, but give the new food sometime to set in.   If still nothing it maybe something environmental like cleaning spray, febreeze etc.

Allergies stink - trust me, but good luck, and keep us posted - I am sure Sharon will chime in with some suggestions as well.   :wink:

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
HannaBanana\";p=\"74365 said:
No idea what the black it - sharon may have a better indication (she's a vet tech)
Actually I am not a vet tech, but that's cool HB, I sure could'nt do my job without the tech's :)

Here is a thread that posted a few days ago on ear mites

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... pic&t=6177

and on the ears the first thing that came to my mind was Malassezia Pachydermatis, which is a yeast.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts