Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
ya id say go to the vet..can guess about what it may be but better to go find out...yeast in the ears? fleas? even a few fleas can do it..itchy skin allergic to something?..any other bumps on her body? how much benedryl are you giving?..can buy the genesis spray at the vet...works incredible ..we use it for Isis bc she breaks out in bumps like that and will scratch them raw if we dont ...and its the only thing that worked..

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Is the inside of her ears clean when you clean them out?  Or do you get yellow or brown discharge looking stuff?  When you touch the back of the ears (where they are red in these pics) does it feel warm to your touch?  

This on the back of her ears is from scratching.....Do you see fleas on her????

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ky - There's no other bumps on her, that's the only place she's scratching, plus her neck but she ALWAYS scratches her neck.  I'm giving her one benedryl in the morning.  I checked for fleas and didn't see any.  I may just have to go to the vet and try this genesis spray you speak of!  I've taken her in before for scratching, I wonder why they never gave it to me?

Sharon - when I clean out her ears I get dirt, our backyard is all torn up right now from putting in a deck, so when she plays back there it's dirt city.  So, I haven't noticed any yellow or brown discharge because it's all dirt!  They don't smell though.  I never noticed if the back of her ear is warm to the touch, because when I touch it I'm putting cortizone or neosporin on it.  What does it mean if it's warm?  I haven't seen any fleas on her, and she's only scratching that one ear.  She scratches everywhere, especially her neck, since she was a puppy, but it's only that one ear that she's scratching raw.

Thanks girls!  It got worse last night, so I may be visiting the vet!  :(

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Well normally the ears to the touch will be warm if there is infection in the ear....I would say to go ahead and have her checked. Something is going on to make her worry at this one ear....Just not sure what because it could be so many things including just allergy....but allergy to what that is the question....Could be so many things...

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Sharon - I remembered to feel her ears last night, they were warm.  Also, there are bumps inside her ears...look like bites to me, but my bf thinks there marks from her scratching.  She didn't scratch too bad last night.  Should I still call the vet?  I feel like such a bad mom, I've been trying to hold off because I just don't have the money for the vet right now, but if you think I should bring her in then I will!  Thanks

·
Registered
893 Posts
Ekim had the exact problem with his ears. it was from alergies. We had to do some allergy testing and found out he was allergic to beef. Once beef was eliminated from his diet he was fine except for occasional bouts with seasonal allergies, but nothing made the ears as bad as when he ate beef. The vet had to put him on steroids for a few days and he also put the most foul smelling substance in his ears, it actually smelled like rotten eggs. I am going to the vet on Sunday morning with my new puppy and I will ask him what it was . Ekim's scratching and itching stopped within a few hours after the rotten egg treatment.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sorry to hear that Lola is having problems - kinda looks like scabbed over bites - like maybe a spider???  I don't know though - I'd probably call the vet if the benadryl and cleaning them really good doesn't help.  Like everyone said could be so many things.  Hope she gets feeling better really soon.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My moms shitzue gets spots like this all the time. But his are hot spots. She puts antibacterial ointment on them. The only reason I bring this up is because that is what they look like on Raggies (my moms shitzue). You can give it a try.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
She is scratching for a reason - skin irritation around ears of yeast or bacteria in ear causing her to scratch.

Did you have a culture of the inside of her ear checked?    They take a swab and put it under a microscope, check to see if there is any yeast or bacteria.   Is so, they will treat it with a drop.  Sometimes the dog cannot reach inside their ears so that pic is the scratching point of them trying to get the itch.

Also make sure nails are trimmed and dull and not sharp.  She can pierce the skin if her nails are sharp.  If you have a dremmel, then I'd go over them to dull them a bit until you can get to the rout of the problem.   If not, take her on some concrete or a basketball / tennis court.

If skin, my Genesis spray works wonders,   she may have to take a mild steriod (I use Temeril) to cut to the problem.    Good Luck, and sorry she is not doing well and having itchies.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Sorry to hear about poor Lola!  
I thought we were going to have the same issues with Beckham for awhile too.  He scratched like crazy at his ears and back of his neck (till he had bloody scabs).  The neck scratching turned out to be because he was having an allergic reaction to his nylon collar, once we got him a different collar the neck scratching stopped.
I was cleaning his ears 3 times a week and getting lots of brown crap out each time too!  Took him to the vet and had them look at a sample from inside his ears, which ended up being nothing (of course).
Now all I do is rotate between 2 different ear cleaners one from the vet and then just one from the pet store that foams a bit.  Also since he's been on Merrick his ears have done a 180, no more smelly or 'dirty' looking ears.  

But it sounds like Lola's issue is more serious and might require a vet visit.  
Fingers and paws crossed, keep us posted!  Give her hugs and kisses from brother Beckham.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts