Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is just some info on Ear Mites......

Ear mites can sometimes be seen without a microscope and are generally visible under a magnifying glass. They live deep inside the ear canal in the lining of the skin, and like to feed on ear wax and tissue fluids, while the mite's saliva tends to increase the amount of ear wax available to feed on. Some dogs don't seem to be bothered by the ear mites while others itch intensely causing scratching at the ears.

These mites are contagious and are frequently transmitted for one dog to others (including cats) in the home.

Dogs and cats can get ear mites at any age........ear mites are generally found more often in cats than in dogs.
Also, long-eared dogs have more of a problem with ear mites than other short ear dogs.

Ear mites can cause severe damage. The Telltale indicators that your pet has ear mites can be itchy ears and it scratches at the base of its ears or shakes its head a lot. Yet, when you look closely you cannot see any evidence of what might be causing the itching (fleas/ticks/rash)....... so you need to suspect ear mites. One indicator that your dog might have ear mites is that when you rub its ears hard it shakes its head really hard when you stop rubbing.

Another indicator of the presence of ear mites is a discharge, or a build up of ear wax in the animal's ear that looks like coffee grounds or mud.  This to me is the biggest sign you will see and some ears will have an unpleasant odor.

When a pet with ear mites constantly scratches at its ears, it can damage the tiny blood vessels inside its ears and that can lead to swelling and possible infection from the broken blood vessels and to eventual hearing loss. If the condition appears severe, it's best to go to the vet!!! The ears need to be cleaned out before starting treatment because if not the mites will hide under the wax buildup deep in the ear.

Posted below is a picture of a dog ear with ear mites and a pic of the ear mite itself......

What is the best (at home) way to prevent???  Well there are plenty of "at home" ideas and some of them work and some of them do nothing....but one that does work is Regular Rubbing Alcohol.....A little bit in the ears a few times a month and it will kill any eggs, also a little after a bath or swimming dry's the ear....There is also ear mite drops you can purchase at the vet or pet store....

Attachments

·
Banned
2,318 Posts
funny that you posted this sharon, i was brushing the cat today and i looked in side her ear and it was all black, but there is no smell. is it still earmites?  i am concerned that she has not been grooming herself properly

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[quote="sumyasmom\";p=\"73924":eek:izx1ik6]funny that you posted this sharon, i was brushing the cat today and i looked in side her ear and it was all black, but there is no smell. is it still earmites?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way....Do not use Alcohol if the ear is already scratched or has sores....this is a preventative measure...

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Great Info, Thanks Sharon!  :)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Thanks Sharon, this is great information.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.