Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I looked in carters ears today and seen that 1 ear looks like it has small bites in it but the other ear is fine...He was just at petsmart on sat gettin his nails clipped and his ears cleaned...I havent noticed this before so it had to just come in the last few days...Here's some pics that I took they arent the greatest because he didnt want to let me take them...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Hmmm, flea bites perhaps or spider? I am surprised that it wasn't noticed when he got his ears cleaned, course maybe they cropped up since then..Is he shaking his head or anything? Like something is is in his ear? I am at a loss, hopefully some one else may have some ideas...Poor Carter

·
Registered
942 Posts
That's what Milo's ear looked like when we got him and he ended up having Demodex Mange. I'd watch it and see if it progresses or if they spots show up anywhere else. If they get any worse or show up other places I'd get a skin test done to see if he has Demodex or something else skin related.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I don't know but if it was me, I'd at least call the vet.  I get worried anytime I find a bite or mark that hasn't reached the scab phase, because the redness in those pics makes them look pretty fresh/new.  But what do I know

Also I'd recommend cleaning and clipping his nails yourself.  If you start him at a young age, you'll get him used to it and have less trouble with all the basic grooming stuff for years to come.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so I went home for lunch and looked in his ear and now there is nothing there...They look fine

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Now that is odd..Keep an eye on him, to see if anything pops back up

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok well I have been looking everyday at his ears and nothing since I posted the pics the last time...But today I looked and its in both ears now...I just recently changed his food a few weeks ago...He goes to see the vet on the 2nd of jan...Could it be caused from his food? I dont see anything in his ears...What could it be? Do mits bite like that?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I actually cleaned Oggie's ears the other day, they looked clean already but I hadn't done it in a while.  Well right after, I saw red splotches very much like those photos above.  They weren't raised (like bites) but flat areas of redness.  They went away not too long after.  What I'm thinking is it's just irritation due to the drying agent in the cleaning solution.  The stuff I use has salcylic acid in it, which really dries up skin.  It's similiar to using hydrogen peroxide on your skin to dry it up, and often a liberal amount will produce redness.  

Hope that helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts