Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure how or when , but one of his ear tip split. It scabs, tries to heal but he scratches it and bleeds again.
It is an infinite loop between scabbing and bleeding.
I am looking for some advice on how we are going to heal this before I take him to the vet.

He also has some dotted scabs and spots on his head. I was thinking it was the rough play in the dog park but I think it is spreading.
I would appropriate some advice here as well.

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
4,496 Posts
If it were just a couple of isolated scabs I would say they were bites from the park but I see many bumps on his head along with some bare patches. The ear looks angry. It does look like demodectic mange.

A vet visit is definitely in order. In the meanwhile you can clean that ear with betadine and put some Neosporin or bacitracin on it.

·
Super Moderator
7,025 Posts
Let's address the ear. Man those tips can be a pain in the butt to get healed but this is what I'd do. Wash it well with a wound wash such as chlorhexadine. Apply a gob of polysporin to it and buy the big wide bandaids. You will probably have to change it every few days once it starts to come off but this will help stop him from reopening it and give it a chance to heal. Use rubbing alcohol all over the ear to help remove dirt and oil, allow it to dry thoroughly before placing the bandaid on.

Now, have your vet check inside his ear for an inner ear infection or ear mites. There's a reason he scratched it open and it's usually one of these two reasons. Also get your vet to look at that hair loss on his head, not sure what's going on there but it needs a skin scraping at least.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all, I ll definitely do what you advice and also it looks like we are going to visit the vet soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts