Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey what do you do to protect your puppy in the cold mornings when you house training him? Our puppy comes in 2 weeks and average morning temp is about 27 degrees so if a very cold potty walk!!! Do use use mittens on his paws? Best or something for him? I don't want him to be cold!

What about if it's raining?

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Aspen needs boots and a sweater (sometimes two sweaters!). It's a bit of a pain because it takes longer to get her ready to go outside than it does for her to actually go to the bathroom, but if she doesn't have boots on she tries to balance on one leg and hold three others in the air and she can't go to the bathroom on one leg (that would require a lot of talent). This week it's been -35 celcius here (-31 F) so we don't get very far without boots.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Hey Jess, where did you get Aspen's boots? I am having a heck of a time trying to find ones that stay on Bosley's feet in the deep snow. :)
I got her Ruffwear Bark n Boots (Ruffwear Bark'n Boots Grip Trex? Dog Boots). They're very expensive (cheaper if you get them off ebay), but I found that when I bought cheap ones I'd lose them in a week because they'd always fall off. She's had these boots since last winter March and we still have all four. Every now and then one will go flying off, but they stay on better than any boot I've tried. My only issue with them is that sometiems she gets snowballs built up around the top of them, but Ruffwear now makes boots called Polar Trex which go higher up on the leg to keep this from happening (Ruff Wear Bark'n Boots Polar Trex? Winter Dog Boots).

If you're going to order them online, try to find a store that carries them first so you can go and try them on to make sure you have the right fit. Aspen wears a size small and my 90 lb golden retriever wore a size medium.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Aspen is stylin!!!! She looks adorable in her winter gear! Cannot believe the cold temperatures you get there! Wow, and I complain about 17F!!! Don't know how to convert it to celcius....

·
Registered
838 Posts
Rocco just needs a jacket if it's below 0 (celcius in Canada!) The cold doesn't bother him much but the salt that they put on the walkways burns his paws...so we just avoid those areas. Sometimes I use wax on his paws, that helps too. He tries to eat the booties if i put them on him. See how your little guy reacts then you'll know what he needs, each dog is a little different in that sense.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
if too cold to take your puppy outside - I know I took my boys in our garage with newspaper- when we first brought them home as our weather wasn't conducive to potty training

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
So far we haven’t used anything but we are just now getting freezing cold weather again.
We did buy a sweater for Max last year but found that using it was counter productive with the urgency to get outside in the early stages of potty training. I was worried about his feet but it was first of March and everyone was already sold out. I think this helped us teach him to go potty on command. J
When it is really cold he only is out to do his business but man does the snow get him all fired up. He gets the zoomies, wants to eat it, bury his nose in it…it s hilarious.
As for rain, he never seemed to mind it but my mom advised me early on to let him get used it or end up with a 2 yr old who won’t step foot outside without an umbrella. Again, he is usually just out to do his business but he doesn’t even care if it is storming.
If you live somewhere with those subzero temps, you may have to resort to protective gear. Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts