Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went home on my lunch to let Lola out and I noticed her right ear looked red.  Upon closer inspection this is what I saw.  I'm at a loss here on what it is...what to do...what's causing it.  It's only that one ear.  Any ideas?  I have 2 different meds that she's been on in the past...Otomax and Tres(something), can't remember that name.  Should I just try using these?  Some stuff's come up with work and such, so I really can't afford to bring her into the vet, unless everyone thinks this is really bad.  Could it be ear mites?  I didn't notice any smell.  I just cleaned them on Sunday and they were fine!
Thanks in advance!  Lola thanks you too....she's very itchy and wants to be better!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Re: Ears..again..this time inside w/pic...really need advice

is she allergic to anything that you know of? Is there an insect or something that could have got her when she was kenneled?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts

Alicia, I am of no help. I'm sure someone will be able to help you out on this one...Sharon? I hope it's not serious and something that you can treat at home. Good luck with it, and I hope Lola feels better soon.  >:D<

·
Registered
1,363 Posts

I saw something mentioned above about smell/odor.  Do the ears have a specific odor if there is any infection?

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

Since they do not look too deep into the ear canal, I am thinking something is making her itch her ears.   Are her nails clipped? or recently??  

Hanna gets the same thing from allergies, when she flares up we put her on Termeral.   I put cort-aid (over the counter cream) a little on the inside of the ear to stop the itch.  I also have to watcher her nails esp if they are too sharp.

I know you switched to Canidae, but do you think it could be something else?  Did they swab last visit for mited or bacteria??

·
Registered
8,155 Posts

If there is yeast in the ear it can have like an old leather smell (I think, or my nose).  There should be no odor, but if they are itching, first thing I'd suggest is to clean the canal and smell.   If its smells odd, then take in for a swab to determine if its yeast or bacteria.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

Looks like the red marks are from scratching the ear.  When you clean the ear out earmites are very easy to tell.  A dogs ear should be clean with the exception of dirt if they have been outside.  If there is a dark brown paste looking discharge then those are earmites.  If you take the brown gunk from the ear and wet it, it will turn red.  The basis behind this is the funky stuff you clean out is ear mite poop.  Since they are microscopic tick type bugs they feed the same way and then the waste from them contains blood.  If the stuff you clean out of the ear is paste and white colored this is generally a yeast infection and if it is yellow/green then it is an infection.  Or you can have a combination of any of the three at the same time.  

The picture to me looks like an allergy ear, she may have got something (allergen) on her foot and then transfered to that ear while scratching it.  If the Trese thing that you cant remember is Tresederm then it will kill infection and ear mites....So that is the best choice to use it comes with a 2 year exp date so it should still be good.  Twice a day for 5 days for either infection or earmites!  Dont forget to treat both ears even though the other ear looks okay.  You can put the otomax or neosporin on the little red sores.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Andrea - she has allergies, just not sure to what.  I thought it was seasonal, but now I don't know.  I brought her into the vet last Monday because she was broken out in hives.  They gave me medicated oatmeal shampoo and genesis spray to try.  They said we'd have to do a food trial soon if she doesn't stop scratching.  I didn't see any bugs in the house, could be a possibility.  

I did give her two new treats yesterday...Bil Jac liver treats
and Natural Choice Crunchy Treats with Real Apple:  Natural Choice Crunchy Treats are made with wholesome ingredients like real apple, whole brown rice, and oatmeal so you can feel great about treating your dog. These Crunchy Treats are perfect for training any dog or just when you want to give a special reward. They

·
Registered
405 Posts

So Sharon, when they tell me they are going to check the sample for ear mites at the vet and we get a medium sized charge for it, they are just in the back running the swab under water to look for blood and laughing as they charge me? Ha! Too funny....but definitely good information to have!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

[quote="HannaBanana\";p=\"43532":228i1l8h]Since they do not look too deep into the ear canal, I am thinking something is making her itch her ears.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

Hope she gets feeling better real soon - nothing worse than itching!!!

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

[quote="sharonL\";p=\"43536":p545pv1z]

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

AbbyandBrady\";p=\"43551 said:
So Sharon, when they tell me they are going to check the sample for ear mites at the vet and we get a medium sized charge for it, they are just in the back running the swab under water to look for blood and laughing as they charge me? Ha! Too funny....but definitely good information to have!
HAHA well for what the tend to charge they should be looking at it under the microscope and seeing the little buggers.  Here is a good way to tell....The next time you go to the vet and they test her ears and tell you it is ear mites, tell then you would LOVE to see what they look like and ask if you can see it on the scope.  If their eyes bug out then you may have got the water test instead :)

·
Registered
3,939 Posts

[quote="Alicia";p="43558":1wavlzvd][quote="sharonL\";p=\"43536":1wavlzvd]

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Just wanted to say thank you!  Lola's ear is looking much better since using the Tresaderm and Otomax for the past few days.  She's still scratching away though, so I think an allergy test or a food elimination is in our future.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
780 Posts

Poor thing.  Hope she feels better soon.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts