Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,im just new in this forum,and i got a beatifull puppy wich is 7 weeks old and i need help before is too late. I live in new jersey in the middlesex area and i want to cropp the ears,but i dont want to wait so long,becuase i know that a puppy with more than 12 weeks the vet they dont usually cropp the ears,so i would like to know if anybody know a good place to do that with a reasonable price,i would be so thansfull
Please let me know before is too late
                                                       THANKS

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
My advice would be to contact your local boxer club for a referreal.   Last thing you do not want to do it go to a vet that is not recommended for ear cropping.  Since you pup is 7 weeks old, you have some time to do some good research.     Also make sure you see some of the crop the vet has done.  Just because they crop does not mean they crop the correct way!  

Good Luck!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Where I live the vets wont do the crop until the pup is 12 weeks old.The vet will probably want to do an ear consultation about 2 weeks to a month before the crop.I believe the best time for the ear crop is between 12 and 14 weeks and some pups up to 16-17 weeks depending on the pups ear cartlidge and when it starts getting hard.You definately want to do your research and ask for pictures of previous boxers that they have cropped.Ask them what they use to put the dog out while doing the procedure and ask how they do the crop.I found one vet that used a pattern.He uses the same pattern for all dogs no matter what(boxer,great dane,doberman etc.)I personally think that is a bad idea.The best thing to do in my opinion is do your homework the best you can,ask questions here because this site has alot of people that will give you excellent info and help no matter what their opinion is on the subject,and Make alot of phone calls to different vets even if you have to travel a couple hours to get the right vet.Remember if you want to crop it is kinda a forever thing so a couple hour drive to find someone good is worth it.I didnt have any luck with boxer clubs around here because we dont have one but if you do that we be the best place to start,like mentioned before.As far as price goes,when I was looking for the right person to do Jakes ears I got price quotes from $150.00 to $400.00.Most of the vets around here was charging around $200.00.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Welcome to the forum first of all....I would also suggest having pics of what you want your Boxer's ears to look like, that seems to be very helpful as well....Your baby is a cutie, what's his or hers name?

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum.  I agree with the others, check with the local clubs and get referral information.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
His name is chacky,and right now is 7 weeks old i woul like to the ears like that, thanks you for everything,,but i would like anyone also form new jersey how can give me any contact,because the vet that i`ve benn call,the prices are ridicolous the chepeast 400 $

·
Registered
202 Posts
From what I've read up on-- you dont exactly want to only look for the vets that do it for the cheapest amount with a procedure like this. If you do it this way your chances of finding a butcher for a vet are extremely high.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
$400 is fairly reasonable where I live. that is aboutthe avg. pricing for cropping of the flops.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new fur baby!!! We have had Harley for about a month now, and we wrestled with the idea to crop or not to crop. We decided to get his ears done and he was 10 weeks old. Our vet said that he would not do ears after 12 weeks, and it all depends on the dogs cartilidge base on his ears. He had them done last Tuesday, when he was still asleep they put stiff foam on the inside of his ears. It has been a little over a week, the foam in his right ear came out  and the ear is standing beautifully. He goes tomorrow to get the stitches out, and the vet said that he probably won't tape because of how well they are standing now. It all depends on the vet, the dog, and the dogs catilidge.  It is very important to do your homework on ears, because once they are cut, you can't go back. I wish you the best of luck. Take into consideration what everyone says on the forum, there is lots of good advice here. If you want to see Harley's ears, click on this link http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/cc116/harleysmom07 . Good Luck

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Cropping can be expensive, it is a purely cosmetic surgery and requires healing time, taping, rechecks, the initial exam of the ears-all kinds of stuff. $400 is actually a low price compared to my area, and it has been years since i have discussed prices. about 5-6 years ago my area was charging a minimum of 500 for cropping and i am sure it has gone up since.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts