Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got my boxers ears done on Tuesday and the vet didn't put them in a cup so the breeder and I did. Well that lasted three days (with the socks on her head) and once I took them off she got the cup off to but anyway's they are starting to heal and scab up and everything but when I would change her sock they would have a smell(breeder said this is normal) but anyway's after three days later I took the socks off to let air get to the stitches and help healing and she got the cup off and now there is still a slight smell and some redness does that mean they are infected. The vet put her on ceplexin when she came home so I think this should be helping but want to make sure there is nothing else I can do. I put neosporin on it and it doesn't look horrible I am just worried because her ears are without support and they do have a small smell and in one ear it is kind of red so am I being stupid to worry. She was pushing the limit of the age she got her ears done anyway so her being without a brace worries me to. She is three months. Ok I am sorry if I miss spelled anything and I know I am rambling I just don't know what else to do.
Samantha

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Call your vet.  She may have a small infection, but it sounds more like typical irritation.  

Sry I couldn't help more...

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Better to be safe, I'd have your vet take a look...I don't know anything about aftercare for cropping, both of mine were done before I got them....I'm sure someone on here will be able to help you tho

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Cropped ears should not smell. I guess I would say to make sure it is the ear (the part that got cut) and not inside the ear itself.  Sometimes blood can get down in the ear during surgery and dry,which can smell when it starts mixing with the natural ear wax....I would have them checked also I dont recommend using neosporin on the ears because it causes the skin around the stitches to stay moist and can cause your stitches to loosen and come out before they are ready to.  

I also am not sure why the are not taped up. I am not sure of the term "a cup" we generally insert a hard foam and tape them here or put them on a rack....

I would have them checked ASAP which should be part of your ear crop follow up anyway....

Good luck

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. Yea the vet that did them did not tape them at all.. :x   So we found a little cup and put it (like foam) but just cleaned it well wrapped it in bandage wrap and placed her ears up with that without getting any tape on the cut side. Then I used the sock bonnet method to keep the ears and cup safe. It didn't last long though after three days I took the sock off to give the ears air and then she knocked it off. She doesn't have her next appt until the 29th but I called and they said that the antibiotic they gave her should help fight infection. I guess I will just have to smell my way around her ear and see where it is coming from. (EWWW)  They don't look to swollen but do stink lol. I know that I hope they will be ok with not being supported right now also. I appreciate any advise and thank all of you for your help.
Samantha and Haven

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK so I smelled her ears lol. It was funny I got down on the floor and she was a wiggly butts like oh its time to play then I had her sit still while I smelled (lol) her ears. I cant really tell where the smell is coming from it is not to strong but it seems to be a little stronger towards the middle of her ear and while examing her I realized she has some dirt down in her ears also. I guess this could be where the smell is coming from. Her ears done look to red and they are not really swollen (other than normal for surgery) I am not going to bother tapping her ears up until they heal I just hope it wont hurt her in the long run with them standing.(I have already herd because she got them done at three months that they will have a harder time standing IS THIS TRUE) I hope not and she would have gotten it done earlier but I just got her. Ok well the end of the story is I got my faced eatin by my baby lol with lots of wiggles and slobbers. Then she got a treat. OH YA DONT LET ME FORGET THE FACE LIKE WHY ARE YOU SMELLING MY EARS. lol :lol:

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
My vet routinely crops at 11-12 weeks and they don't seem to take any longer to stand than any other vet's show crops.  I know there are some vets who don't do any taping until the stitches come out - they have a different method of cropping, and those don't seem to take any longer to stand either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just spent this Sunday at the vets with my dads Dobe....the vet that did her ears said the smell is very normal.  He did give some ointment for the redness.  The smell was literally gagging me in the car....UGHHHH!  But once she got the first set of tape off and the stiches removed it is much better.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Every breeder and vet approaches ear cropping aftercare and posting differently.
Personally, I don't cover the ears with anything until the stiches are out and healed.
We glue a piece of foam wedging onto their skull between the ears until they are healed completely.

I've never used any creams or ointments either. We let them air dry, scab and they fall off on their own.

There are a million ways to tape too- each of my pups has needed a different method based on their length and ear leather.
It will not hurt to have them down for a few days this early on, but you do want to start training them asap.

Here's a pic of Z about 2 weeks after her crop, stitches out

The smell is more than likely dried blood that dripped into her ear

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Thought I'd add my two cents.

I had Odin's ears done... and they didn't tape... they say not to tape or anything when the stitches are on... it's painful when you have to remove them and it's suppose to take longer to heal since they aren't airing out 24/7. After the stitches came out it was still ANOTHER wk before we got to tape his ears... so that his ears could air out and heal. I thought that was a GREAT PLAN and idea... and in the end we only had to tape his ears once for them to look like they do. Oh, and there was no smell.

Good luck.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks again everyone. I think that i am going to take some pictures this evening of what her ears look like right now and post them on here if you can all check back please and tell me if that is what they should look like at week one. (WELL 2MORO WILL BE ONE WEEK)
Samantha

·
Registered
744 Posts
Funny, I've always thought that my crops stunk. Having said that, so have my spays. . . The smell is very acidy/salty. . . My husband akins the smell to foot odor. It's just the smell of the healing incision site. Having said that, I don't worry because I've been through it a few times and I know that it's normal. If your breeder and your vet don't seem concerned, I'd not worry about it.

As Jill (Jinxx) mentioned, each breeder has a different method of allowing the ears to heal. My vet prefers that we keep the incision site moist throughout healing with a triple antibiotic ointment and he recommends that we wipe the softened scabs away from the incision site as it heals. He feels that this gives a smoother, cleaner edge. We also clean the site with peroxide twice per day, applying the triple antibiotic after each cleaning.

Taping should never begin until after the edges are completely healed. If the bases and tips are still a bit scabby, tapes and posts can be used, but make sure that the tape does not cover over any of the scabbing.

When taping, make extra sure to have an experienced individual show you how and NEVER, ever tape too tightly. I know a couple of people who accidentally taped too tight and lost circulation to the dog's ear, causing the ear to die and have to be amputated. As a precaution, I usually recommend that people use caulk backer foam rod to post, versus tampons, tongue depressers or other hard posts that other people commonly recommend. The foam has give to it so it's much easier to maintain circulation throughout the ears. Also, make sure to leave the tips of the ears uncovered after taping and check them 10 minutes post-tape. If the tips are swollen and red, purple, or black, remove the tapes immediately, rub the ears vigorously between your fingers and wait a few hours to retape.

Good luck - keep us posted!

·
Registered
148 Posts
When they cropped Bo's ears they used tampons, stuck down in the ear so they stood up all the way to the top of the ear.  It was pretty neat.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BurningRiver\";p=\"40678 said:
Funny, I've always thought that my crops stunk. Having said that, so have my spays. . . The smell is very acidy/salty. . . My husband akins the smell to foot odor. It's just the smell of the healing incision site. Having said that, I don't worry because I've been through it a few times and I know that it's normal. If your breeder and your vet don't seem concerned, I'd not worry about it.

As Jill (Jinxx) mentioned, each breeder has a different method of allowing the ears to heal. My vet prefers that we keep the incision site moist throughout healing with a triple antibiotic ointment and he recommends that we wipe the softened scabs away from the incision site as it heals. He feels that this gives a smoother, cleaner edge. We also clean the site with peroxide twice per day, applying the triple antibiotic after each cleaning.

Taping should never begin until after the edges are completely healed. If the bases and tips are still a bit scabby, tapes and posts can be used, but make sure that the tape does not cover over any of the scabbing.

When taping, make extra sure to have an experienced individual show you how and NEVER, ever tape too tightly. I know a couple of people who accidentally taped too tight and lost circulation to the dog's ear, causing the ear to die and have to be amputated. As a precaution, I usually recommend that people use caulk backer foam rod to post, versus tampons, tongue depressers or other hard posts that other people commonly recommend. The foam has give to it so it's much easier to maintain circulation throughout the ears. Also, make sure to leave the tips of the ears uncovered after taping and check them 10 minutes post-tape. If the tips are swollen and red, purple, or black, remove the tapes immediately, rub the ears vigorously between your fingers and wait a few hours to retape.

Good luck - keep us posted!

Thanks all. My breeder had that happen to her with her first boxer. She had to re crop to make the ears look the same. Needless to say i am trying to learn as much as possible and have lots of helpers here to.
Samantha

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so i took some pictures (with the cell phone) of her ears and so i would like any comments on how they look.
This is one week post surgery.

The first three pictures are her right ear and the last one is her Left (the right is the one i think looks the worst)

Attachments

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
EARS I NEED HELP: UPDATED PICTURES.

:lol: I AM SORRY THEY WERE TAKEN FROM THE CELL SO THEY ARE NOT THAT GREAT.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts