Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley is getting his ears done today. I have been a total mess!! They are such a beautiful animal when their ears are done, but on the other hand, they are so sweet when their ears are floppy. I guess I am just being an over protective momma, but I am struggling with this. Can anyone give me a word of encouragement? We are not planning on showing him, so that's not an issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks, Ya'll are great!!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Having the ears cropped is a personal preference. most of us here have floppy, but we do have a  few that have cropped. my ex and i had his min pin ears cropped-there was some pain the first couple of days, but after that everything was fine. It was my ex's choice on the cropping, if and when i get my male boxer i may do his, but i love my girls floppy so i may not do that...Who knows :)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I am conflicted myself on this topic.  I don't really see the need to put them through it, but sometimes I think I really like the look.  But then I think that's a selfish reason to get it done.  I wouldn't judge anyone that has them done though, I know it's a little different but realistically tail docking is just as harsh and almost every boxer has that done.  All in all I'm glad I didn't get Oggie's done, I think it makes them look more intimidating.....enough people already ask me if he's a pitbull.

But if you want encouragement, they do look cool, and I've read that ear cropping reduces the chances of ear mites and dirty ears.  Also their ear flaps are very sensitive, sometimes when I put Oggie's collar over his head I'm afraid I'm hurting him.  I think ear cropping would reduce the sensitive areas.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
To crop or not to crop is totally a personal decision.  As long as you are having it done by a good vet in a sterile environment and proper after care and pain management meds are given you should be very happy with your decision.  There are a number of dogs that have had their ears done here and they are absolutely beautiful.  I couldn't imagine them not having their ears done.  Odin, Angel and Samson are just a few that come immediately to mind - are beautiful and regal looking boxers!  Since you have made the decision to do this - I wish you the best of luck for a speedy recovery and a wonderful new look for you baby.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
LOL...

It is completely a personal preference. We could NOT decide... yes... no... yes... no... we flip flopped forever about it... and finally figured out we wanted to do it... the day I dropped him off I almost backed out. THOUGH I COULD NOT IMAGINE ODIN WITHOUT THEM!! He looks amazing! There are always pro's and con's to doing something... I've read all kinds of different things and they never really added up... I think it just depends on how that person that wrote the article/book feels about it. Odin is 9 months old now... and I've not had a problem with his ears once... but alas, he's only 9 months old. Great start though!

If you look up "Odin's New Look" in the search you can see before, during and after pics of him... and info all through out his cropping.

Doing his ear cropping while a member of this forum... no one judged us... at least not enough for us to either notice or care. :) Everyone here knows it's a personal preference and support people either way. You won't get banned or anything like you surprisingly could from other places. As long as you have an experienced vet he'll do WONDERFULLY. Hubby and I did mention how if we had a FEMALE boxer we probably wouldn't get her ears done... anyway...

GOOD LUCK!!!  :D

·
Registered
893 Posts
Even though I like the look of cropped ears, very regal, I couldn't put my guys though any type of unnessesary surgery. Heck I am having a hard time just thinking about having to get Delila spayed in a few months, and she is only 11 weeks old.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Ear cropping has been illegal in Ireland for many years, so you'll forgive me for having something of an anti-crop bias.  I just don't see the percentage in putting a dog who has no choice in the matter through a surgical procedure for purely cosmetic reasons.  It's definitely a cultural thing, though - in Europe, it's seen as unnecessary and I've even seen in referred to as "barbaric" in a Boxer breed book, whereas I've been taken to task by some US members of this forum for saying I'm anti-crop because they see it as a "freedom of choice" thing.
In Germany (the mother country of the boxer) it is the same. It is forbidden to crop ears since 21 years.
Since 2001 dogs with cropped ears or tail are not allowed to present on dog-shows.

G

·
0 Posts
I personally like the floppy look...to me...boxers are intimidating enough with their ears down...I also don't want to put my baby through any unnessasary surgery...there is always a risk with anestesia (sp?)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Honeyec\";p=\"45906 said:
[quote="sully\";p=\"45864":1l5j98y4]I've read that ear cropping reduces the chances of ear mites and dirty ears.  
I've actually read (anecdotally) that they're more prone to mites and dirty ears when cropped because the ear is left "open" all the time.

[/quote:1l5j98y4]

I believe the reasoning is that with the ears down, it creates a favorable environment for ear mites to breed because of wax build-up.  Cropped ears are also supposedly easier to clean.  Again, I'm not for or against ear cropping....that's just what I've read.  I'd be interested to hear counter arguments though.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Harley's ears were cropped without any issues and I could not imagine him without cropped ears, it looked really good on him. We didn't do either of out dogs' ears because of the cost...plus I think Milo would look to intimidating with his ears cropped, people are already scared of his look.

I think it looks good and you'll look the ears when they're done! :D

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
It is definitely a personal preference...Both of mine are cropped, but were done before i got them. Also a lot of people, and I'm not saying this includes you, think that by cropping it makes their Boxer look more intimidating.. Me, I prefer the natural ears and I am very glad that they are now being seen in the show ring here as well.....

Is it mean? I wouldn't say that at all..What can they feel? Who knows, haven't met Dr Doolittle to talk to mine and let me know  :lol: Good luck and definitely read thru the post on Odin's ears, tons of good information for you as far as aftercare

·
Registered
780 Posts
Lilke everyone said it is a personal decision.  I wouldn't say you are being cruel to you dog as long as it is done correctly and with a very qualified vet.  We had our first one done because that is how we thought boxers were suppose to be.  We were very new to the breed and didn't know alot about them.  For us having the ears cropped isn't necessary and we love them just the way they are with their floppy ears so we would never have any of ours cropped.

As for the cropped ears being better for them, we actually were told the opposite by our vet.  That the flap helps keep things out of the ears especially if they are out running or playing in areas with high grasses, etc.  I have no idea which is right on keeping the dogs ears cleaner but I think either way it depends on how much you groom your dog and what it gets into outside.

The breeder we got our last puppy from didn't believe in removing the dew claws so our little guy had his.  When we talked to the vet about it he said it wasn't necessary to remove them and he wouldn't have any of his dogs done if they came with the dew claws.  He said we could have them removed but he would have to be put under and would have to have stitches (he suggest that if we did want to have them done that they be taken off when he was in to be fixed).

·
Registered
243 Posts
I believe the reasoning is that with the ears down, it creates a favorable environment for ear mites to breed because of wax build-up.
But the only boxer of ours who had  problems with the ears was Bessy and she had cropped ears.
I habe the third boxer with floppy ears and they all never have had problems with the ears.

Like everyone said it is a personal decision.
I

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I like Dukes floppy ears, when he runs they fly back and he looks so cute.  I wouldn't have it any other way plus its costly, and I didn't want him to be uncomfortable and any pictures I have seen it just looks so uncomfortable.  I know I would hate it.  So we didn't do it.  Adam says that if God wanted his ears cropped he would have been born with his ears already that way.  So I agree, personal preference.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Its all personal preference -

There is no medical documentation saying that Cropped ears get more or less infections, mite etc and vice versa with floppy ears.  A majority of this relies on the owner and how clean they keep the ears and what environmental aspect they are exposed to.

Of course a cropped boxer playing in the dirt will get their ear a bit more messy than a natural eared dog, however, I know my two natural eared dogs always get their ears flipped up when they are playing or running around, so put them right back up there with the cropped.

I love the cropped ears when done by an experienced vet.   Jill (Jinxx's ) Zorita is my cropped ear model.   We went to the ABC last year not being fans of the cropped ear on a boxer.  Mainly due to the fact that around our area there are some pretty bad crops.  However, when you are in a room, with boxers who have them done by experienced vets, there is something so striking about it, that it literally changed our view on the crop.

Second ear leather plays a big part in it as well.  If you look at a majory of the Euro dogs their crops are a bit different than the NA lines.  They are cropped shorter due to ear leather.  If they were cropped like the NA lines, they would not stand as well.   NA lines have more leather so they crop real nice (when done right, by an experienced vet).   Many NA lined dogs who show natural, need to have a good ear leather and proper care (taping, massaging) so they lay correct.

Other dogs in the US ring that are showing naturally are UK, or crosses who have great ear leather and look fab natural.  

So to me, its personal preference.   If I get a NA line dog, it will be cropped.   My Euros are not.   I think the crop is only as good as the person who is doing it as well.  So research is key.  Go to some shows, look at some dogs who's crops you like (boxer club) and then get referals.    I would not suggest going by the cheapest price, but by rep and experience.  Its like getting a face lift.   You would personally want the best, so you seek them out.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Speaking from personal experience, if you have a skilled vet an ear crop is only a minor discomfort for the pup - mine are always up and playing as if nothing happened that same evening.  If you have an unskilled vet, it can be quite traumatic, so as Heather said, research your vets. :)

While I don't actually believe that for Boxers, cropped vs. uncropped makes much difference as far as ear cleanliness, I will say that without a doubt (and by a long shot) the dirtiest ears are on my uncropped dogs, as are the (thankfully relatively few) ear problems with which I've had to deal.  In breeds with longer, heavier, and and hairier ears, like Cocker Spaniels, moisture being trapped etc. is more of an issue.

In this country (and most of the world) it is still a personal choice whether to crop or not.  I understand that many are opposed to 'unnecessary surgery' since the dog is not given a 'choice' in the matter, or is not 'born that way' - however I do hope that those who feel that way are also opposed to most cases of spay/neuter, for the same reasons.   (There are just as many, if not more, potential health risks to spay/neuter as potential health benefits; in fact, in many parts of Europe it is not a common procedure at all.  Though, the AR groups are taking over much of Europe, as well, so no doubt that will be changing....)  I don't want to get into a spay/neuter discussion here - just pointing out that 'unnecessary surgery' extends beyond ear cropping and tail docking. :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
JayJay\";p=\"46010 said:
[quote:3oclky8q]I believe the reasoning is that with the ears down, it creates a favorable environment for ear mites to breed because of wax build-up.
But the only boxer of ours who had

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
There is no state yet that has made ear cropping illegal.  The ARistas have tried it in California, but the effort failed, for two main reasons - first, because it is not a function of the government to mandate medical care decisions - these should be made between an owner and their veterinarian; and second, because of the blatant hypocrisy of these groups trying to outlaw some elective surgery (ear cropping) while also trying to mandate other elective surgeries (spay/neuter).

I'm sure we'd all agree that no dog would choose to have its reproductive organs (and a large portion of its endocrine system) removed, as well.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts