Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How old is too old to get the ears cropped?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok was just curious :) thank you guys :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yea hailee is 5 months on the 19th and i kinda remembered in the back of my head that it was about 10 - 16 weeks but i couldnt remember for sure and it was buggin me, i ran into two beautiful fawn boxer babies today 1 male 15months and 1 female 3 months with their ears done and it got me thinkin again and i couldnt remember the cut of daye soo thanks for the info everyone :) ill make sure to make a note of that :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
most vets has like a min weight (12-15lbs) & age limit (most Is 8-12 weeks) Luckily our vet said she would go as long as 16 weeks,but would not even attempt it older then that at all.I scheduled my dog to go & backed out 2 times already is why I asked her what was max.So if I back out this time it wont get done.I'm still not 110% sure I will go through with it (our vet did say it was some what painfull for 1st 48 hrs is why I havent had heart to do it in first 2 previous visits) I've been as far as sitting in room ready to leave him for procedure,then pick him up & give the lady at the window $27 (office visit fee) and leave with him.

I really want his ears done (I think males look better cropped IMO),just cant seem to leave him for 24 hrs to go through pain.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
the one thing to keep in mind the older the dog is when it is cropped...it potentially will be harder to get the ears to stand b/c the cartlidge is already starting to form.

Yes it is painful (IMO) the first few days after surgery. i have watched my fair share of ear crops...and the hardest part is seeing them coming out from anesthia and seeing them adjust to the surgery.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Also wanted to add that even though some vets will crop after 12 weeks, it's a risk that you won't get the ears to stand. Especially with the long tapered show crop that is correct for our breed. Usually the ear cartilage begins to set in the bases around 12 weeks and the bases are the foundation for support for the entire ear.

·
Registered
75 Posts
BurningRiver\";p=\"57922 said:
Also wanted to add that even though some vets will crop after 12 weeks, it's a risk that you won't get the ears to stand. Especially with the long tapered show crop that is correct for our breed. Usually the ear cartilage begins to set in the bases around 12 weeks and the bases are the foundation for support for the entire ear.
I disagree with you on the "correct cut phrase" the long cut is designed for dobbies & great danes usually dogs with skinnier faces,altho some people do get boxers like that.But the correct cut for a boxer is the best cut to fit their heads.So to say a tall tipped show cut is the correct cut for boxers,is for sure incorrect info.

·
Registered
75 Posts
correction also on the longest vet will go.I recalled just now.My vet said they dont do them any yonger then 11 wks & 18 is max.1-276-386-6101 anyone can call & they are so nice & will answer any ?'s you may have without trying to get you to come in for a office visit.

G

·
0 Posts
Boxerdaddy, the tall show crop is the standard...Boxers should have 2/3 to 3/4 of their ears left...Dobies are 3/4 and Great Danes are 3/4-7/8  Here is a website that discusses how much ear should be left on different dog breeds
http://www.cpvh.com/Articles/67.html

·
Registered
243 Posts
the tall show crop is the standard...
Every time I read something like this I have to smile a bit...

Dobermann, Boxer and Schnauzer are German breeds and
since about twenty years the "original" standard of these breeds are: Natural ears ...

The word "standard" gets a new meaning

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong ladies, but I believe when BurningRiver and aquagirl said  "the long tapered show crop that is correct for our breed" and "the tall show crop is the standard" they are referring to this which is taken from the "American Boxer Club Official Standard for the Boxer."

Ears: Set at the highest points of the sides of the skull, the ears are customarily cropped, cut rather long and tapering, and raised when alert. If uncropped, the ears should be of moderate size, thin, lying flat and close to the cheeks in repose, but falling forward with a definite crease when alert.

Until just recently changed, one could only show a boxer with the long tapered show crop. They are now allowing floppy's in the show ring as well.

So when we refer to the boxer standard we use the AKC/American Boxer Club Official Standard for the breed.

http://www.americanboxerclub.org/standard.html

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Yeah I agree with the cropping info given by Jenn and Aquagirl!! The boxer standard DOES state that they need to have a LONG TAPERING ear crop! I have and show a natural eared boy because I simply couldnt find a good vet too crop. The cut off age around here is 12 weeks. However I have a friend that has a girl that she got from a rep breeder in Cali and she got cropped in Cali at 5 months old before she came here to NY. IMO thats WAY too late.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts