Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I feed Mo and Niko in the morning Mo doesn't feel like eating yet.  Well, Niko will eat all of his food and then go to Mo's bowl and eat all of hers.  My question is....should I put her bowl up or just let him eat it?  I don't want to over feed him but I don't want him to be hungry either.  I put 1 1/2 cups in each bowl.  I guess I also need to know how much to feed at each feeding?  I give 1 1/2 cups in the am and pm.  Is that too much?  Niko is 3 1/2 years old and Mo is 2 yrs.  Thanks in advance for any advise.

·
Registered
405 Posts
How much you feed depends on what you are feeding.  The better quality the food it, the less you need to feed, so you want to refer to the guidelines on the food you feed and go from there.  

We had issues with Brady not eating too right away too, but he just didn't like his food. we found something he likes and he eats right away now.  But if Abby finishes first, she wants to head for his bowl of course.  We simply don't let her.  She sits and watches him until he's done, then licks his bowl to check for leftovers. When he wasn't eating, I always picked it up, then left in his crate when we left for work...that way she couldn't get at it and if he chose to eat, he had it available.
Also, if it is a timing issue, what about moving the times that you feed them by a little bit at a time? Or just feeding them at separate times? We noticed Brady seemed to have more of an appetite after being awake for a little bit running around with Abby, so we simply started feeding them about an hour after they woke, rather than immediately.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm feeding Purina One Sensitve Systems.  They seem to like it and it works well with them.  Thanks for the help.  I will try feeding after they've been up for a bit.  I know Mo likes her food because she eats it right up.  There's just those times where she doesn't eat when I feed her first thing in the morning.  Sometimes she does.  I guess all depends how hungry she is.  Thanks again!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Fiona is like that too... even though we do not have another dog who wants to eat her food.  She just does not want to eat when we first get up.  I will put her food down and she will sniff around it and then walk off...go back about 20-30 min later and eat.  I would say that if she does not want to eat when you put it down to pick it back up.  The only thing is offering it to her later would mean putting him up so he does not eat it then....I feel that for Purina One Sensitive foods....that is a good amount of food, but it also depends on the size of your dogs not just that age....About what is there weight?  Niko just sounds like he wants to eat it :).....Is he (Niko) more of the dominant one? If so she may be "letting" him control the bowls.  Maybe feed them in different rooms???? Keep in mind that the amount to feed listed (on the food bag) is always on the higher side and the amount is per day not per feeding on the Purina One....I just looked at the label and it is about 2 1/2 to 3 cups a day for a 51-75 lb dog....So your amount is probably right on..factoring in how big they may be and how active.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Angel started getting that way, so I cut down the amount for her in the morning and also started adding different things as she seemed to be getting bored, but as you have issues with food, I am not sure if that would be an option....I definitely would not allow Niko to finish Mo's food tho...I have to stand right there while mine are eating as Samson is on a diet and will finish Angel's if she walks away..If he tries to muscle in, a quick uh uh stops him, but yea I babysit mealtimes..... :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually Mo is the dominant one.  We had her first so believe me, sometimes she lets Niko know who the boss is! LOL!  Niko weighs 64 lbs and Mo 52lbs.  It doesn't happen everyday, just every now and then.  I feed them about 10 minutes after waking.  I'll just wait a little longer before feeding.  If for some reason Mo doesn't eat all of her food I'll just take it up so Niko can't eat it.  I think you're right...he just wants to eat it...he's a little piggy!  LOL!  Thanks again.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Gretchen does the same thing!  If Jazz doesn't feel like eating, she will try to muscle in.~ What a piggy!! ~  Jazz normally won't have that, and begins to eat, but often times she just walks away.  Both my girls have a feeding schedule, and if the food is not consumed w/i a certain time span, it is taken up.  I just resume the normal feeding at the next time.  Most dogs will eat if hungy, and food is offered.  It certainly won't hurt them to miss a feeding (unless there are other health issues that you are dealing with) occassionally, and in some circles "fasts" on certain days are the norm.  Unless you notice signs of ill health or stress, I wouldn't worry too much.  It sounds like you have a great plan in place to deal with it.  :D

·
Registered
405 Posts
Any chance of overweight issues too? That just popped in my mind also when reading the other responses...delay in eating or not eating can be a natural reaction to being overweight. With Brady always being, in an extremly cute roly poly way, a little chubby, we considered that with him and started feeding a little less to him, wondering if his prior meals were just keeping him full.  I wonder if this has helped in correcting his eating issues too.  Whereas we had been feeding him 1.5 cups a day, plus 2 kongs, we now feed more along the lines of 1 cup or 1 1/4 cups (he's a cocker spaniel, doesn't need what the boxers need!)  While he may have droped a pound or 2, he has maintained his slightly roly poly-ness and is eating fine.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My Champ does this too.  Some mornings it seems like he just isn't hungry.  Dixie however is always hungry and will gladly eat Champs food if he doesn't want it.  If he doesn't eat I pick the food up.  Since I feed 3 times a day,  on the days that he skips his morning feeding I will usually give him a little more than usual at his other feedings .  If there are no other health issues, skipping a feeding now and then is not a problem.  

Sometimes he "supplements" his diet by eating the cats food.  Naughty boy!  :lol:

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Sohie is like that too.  She doesn't feel like eating much in the morning, and Kane would eat the whole bag if I let him.  I do feed them in two different rooms, and sometimes she'll eat it and other times it's like she is teasing Kane to just take her food.  She eats a bite and then walks off leaving it for Kane to see and smell.  She beans around the room and just goofs off.  Evening meal is the only one that she really gets down to business and eats.  I've tried to add a noon meal for her too, but if I do that she just messes around at all three meals.  I pick up her food after 15 minutes, but she doesn't seem to care.  At night though, if dinner isn't served by 5:00 p.m., she picks up the food dishes and throws them around the room.  So I guess the question is how long do you continue feeding a puppy 3 meals a day?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks everyone for all your stories and advise.  I came to the conclusion that I guess Mo just doesn't want to eat sometimes when she wakes up.  And on those days I'll just pick up the bowl so Niko can't eat it.  He's very polite.  He doesn't muscle his way in, he only eats it if she leaves it sitting.  And believe me, there usually isn't a problem with them not eating.  I read some of you only leave the food down for 15 mins and what's not eaten is taken away.  My babies usually eat everything within minutes.  There's just the occasional "I'm not hungry this morning".  Thanks again!  :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts