Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has experinced this...

Since I got britney she always eats very well. However, the past few days she seems to be more picky. I usually mix an egg with her kibble a few times a week and on those days she eats like a hound! But if her kibble is dry she eats slower and less. It has been a couple months she has ate dry kibble with no problems.

So a few days of this and the light bulb clicked in my head and I put just a tiny bit of water with her kibble and with no egg and she loved it much more.

·
Registered
882 Posts
I've mixed in some water a few times as well back when Gaby was loosing her baby teeth, and she loved it too...I guess it must be like a gravy to them...I haven't done this now for a while she just eats it dry no problem and looks back at me when she's done as if to say, " can I have some more daddy?"...she loves it!

G

·
0 Posts
Bruce eats whenever he feels like it.  We give him a total of 5 cups a day of Canidae.  He usually won't touch his food till noon time.  And he finishes sometime in the evening.

G

·
0 Posts
From at 2 month to about 5 months Jetta would go through phases where she would not want to eat much at all...a little water helped her as well...

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
aquagirl900\";p=\"87487 said:
From at 2 month to about 5 months Jetta would go through phases where she would not want to eat much at all...a little water helped her as well...
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I think the water adds to the smell and alot of foods will say to add a small amount of water.  As long as you dont have a kibble that swells really large, I dont think there is an issue with it and extra water is always a good thing when digestion is going on.  The down side is that it is hard to stop and go back to dry kibble once you start it.......

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Sharon,

Yes I agree it is hard to break once you start. One reason I switched her to dry food as soon as possible. Do you think it is better to keep making her eat dry and eventually she will eat when she is hungry or keep mixing a small amount of water for the time being? She has allot of activity and I just hate to see that she doesn't eat as much as she should...

·
Registered
370 Posts
Allie has moments where she won't eat at all in the morning or evening but she'll want to eat right before bed.  If we hand feed her, she'll eat with no problem.  Sometimes I mix in cottage cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, or plain yogurt and she will eat it then.  I think they just get tired of the same old, same old and like a little variety.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
I will add water to Henry's food also.  Not enough for the food to swell, just enough to wet it.  Although, now that you  mention it, I don't think he'll eat if I don't wet it. :?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
It is always better to wet the food.  Don't need to soak it but it is easier for them to swallow it when you add some water and make a little gravy.  It also makes it more appealing.  It is also better to feed the food by the meal rather than free choice.  You can keep track of how much they eat and when they eat it.  Gastric torsion ( bloat) seems to happen more when they have been exercise on a full stomach or they drink a ton of water and then eat.  Basically the stomach flips or twists so it traps everything in it and causes the problem.  It is best to refrain from heavy exercise after eating.  I always feed my dogs in the morning a half hour to hour after their walk and playtime and then again later in the evening when they are done with their busy day.

Nano

1 - 11 of 11 Posts