Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone I'm new to Boxers and this site.  I got my boy 2 weeks ago from a breeder, and started him off on the same food that the breeder was feeding him.  However he wasn't really eating it, so I tried the sample pack the vet gave me and he liked it so I decided to switch him.  Now he eats it and sometimes wants no part of it, so since I was looking to go raw with him I decided to mix a raw egg into his meal and he loved it, ate the whole bowl and licked it clean.  Then I started to think that 3 eggs a day might be too much for a 13 week old male.  When I try giving his kibble without egg he doesn't want to eat.  My questions are : are raw eggs ok for pups, he's he too young to go raw, how do I get easy info for a raw diet most seem to be complicated.   BTW, he is not over/under weight.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
There are several people on here that feed Raw so I am sure they will jump in on that one.....

I feed Fiona a raw egg twice a week (she is 14 months)...but when I do I put it in a seperate bowl and dont give it to her at the same time as her kibble because I dont want her to put the two together and not eat without one....3 a day seems like a lot to me for any age dog....but again I dont feed raw so maybe I am not in the know on that!!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry I just have added, that I started using one egg a day a splitting it up between his 3 meals.  Still not sure if an egg a day is good or not?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Just wondering...When feeding the raw eggs do you or should you feed the shell also :?:

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Egg shells have calcium in them - I give mine the egg and shell.   I feed raw eggs twice a week - one egg per dog with shells  added to two of their meals per week.  

Some other beneficial add in is fish oils, or sardine.   Boost the immune system and help with conditioning the coat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So from what I'm reading even one egg a day is too much, correct.  If so what else can I safely mix in until he goes raw, I saw that some people add yogurt, would this be just plain yogurt, unflavoured.  What else would work so that my little guy will eat his food.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I have heard that dogs shouldn't get more than 2 raws eggs a week but not really sure about that.  I feed mine 2 a week; Kiah does eat the shell but Keegan does not so Kiah eats his shell when he is done.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I call it the vicious cycle.....dog loves new kibble, dog eats kibble for a while, dog seems bored with kibble, dog refuses to eat, human adds hot dogs to kibble, dog eats it up, dog soon gets bored with hot dogs, now dog holds out for prime rib   :lol:

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
Then soon you find yourself buying bulk over 200lbs of organic meat to adhere to a raw diet and they think F-kibble, this is great!   :wink:

·
Registered
494 Posts
Welcome to the forum from California!!  

I was having the same problem with the dry food, my two are very picky (and spoiled my fault though).  Not to mention Maggie would inhale the dry and then throw it up.  So I read somewhere on the Sticky's to slow them down you can put the dry kibble on a cookie sheet or something flat or you can wet it.  I started to soak the kibble with warm water and it worked, they both eat it and it takes them a little while longer to eat it and we have not had any problems with vomiting it back up.  I also give them an egg twice a week and plain non fat yogurt everyday after they had finished the kibble, seems boh of them know whats going to happen after they are done, so they just finish and look at me like; "ok we were good where is the follow up stuff ma? "  Good luck and I hope this helps.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
To show them down you can also put a large object such as a rock in the middle of their bowl.  This forces them to eat around the rock - thus slowing them down - cookie sheet to is another trick!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate all the help.

So as for the breakdown Hannabanana, is that per meal??  Also, should puppies get more food that a mature dog??  When using supplements, are there special supplements for dogs or do you just use the same ones you would take??

As for the yogurt and help there would be great or suggestions on what else can be mixed.

Lovin' this site so far.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
If you are feeding a good balanced raw diet you should not need supplements.   Fish oils, eggs, etc for supplements but not added stuff like vitamins

Here are some great links a lot of us put together when starting out feeding raw -

http://www.boxerforums.com/modules.php? ... pic&t=2102

I switched Hanna on to it at about a year after alergies.  We are not alergy free (environmental) but its helped.  Also Kash came at 14 weeks and was fed raw basically from the beginning.    With him being a puppy, he got three meals a day, where as Hanna got two.  

As for the outline above that is what the ratio should be per meal, and for amount this is what she says [b:1x5s82xg]I weigh my dogs monthly and determine if their daily rations need to be increased, decreased or are ok as is.  My dogs get fed 2-4.5% of their body weigh in food per day

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
For the yogurt, use plain, non fat, about a teaspoon is all you need...I also give mine banana, apples, green beans, carrots mixed in with the kibble..Raw egg twice a week, and also salmon oil capsules 1000mg...Neither of mine are picky, so even if they get just their kibble, they are fine :)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What sorts of meats did you start Kash out on.  I've heard for someone that at 13 weeks old he should be getting straight meat without bones as his teeth aren't developed, others say soft things like kidneys, liver and hearts (to rich I think) or is it find to start him off on chicken backs, necks and thighs for 1-2 weeks then start mixing.  It seems like different sites have slightly different suggestions so I thought that peoiple that feed raw diets to their healthy boxers would be the best people to give me suggestions.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You can start him out on anything really.  If you think about it- people with smaller breeds have to feed their dogs bone too. Bones are an important part of the diet- especially for puppies.  They will need offal (organs) later too, but it is okay to forgo those for a couple weeks while they get used to raw food.
Chicken backs and necks are okay but I would probably start with thighs or chicken leg quarters for his first meal as they are larger and your pup won't be able to swallow it without chewing.  Some dogs have problems with swallowing big pieces at first, before they learn how to eat real food.  I would also remove the skin at first too- it is rich and fatty and can cause diarrhea.  
Like you said, after a couple weeks you can introduce one other meat source.  Keep it slow in the beginning so you can identify any food allergies or things that upset him.  Sticking to just chicken at first will make it a little easier on his digestive system to get used to real food.
Good luck if you decide on raw, I am really glad I switched my two.  Feel free to ask any other questions too :)
I have a journal of sorts of when I started mine on raw HERE  In case you want menu ideas or anything :)

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I started Kash out on Premade mixes. This way the bone is gound up, they are still getting the benefits of eating bone, just dont have to chew it.   I also gave him rib bones and marrow bones for recreational chewing and good for teeth cleaning.   The mixed contain organ meat, muscle meat, bone and veggies.  Its a good balance.

Then I moved to necks and backs. wings etc. rotated some beef, lamb whatver is cleaver.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts