Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to know if anyone has ever experienced this before.

The other day, we went to the park. We had the field all to ourselves. All of a sudden, she starts smelling something on the ground. I thought she found a dead bird or something, so I start walking over there, telling her "OFF". When I get close enough, she grabs half of what looked like a rotti poop or somethin' and runs away with it.

She suckled on it playing keep away with it until the outer layer turned from crusty to a nice creamy brown, until she chewed it up and swallowed it. I alomost threw up like 5 times. There I am yelling to the top of my lungs "NO", and "BAD" while I am gagging! WOW it was disgusting! :-&

Zelda is almost a year old now, and this is the first time this has ever occured... Is this normal??? Can it be harmful??? Does it mean she is missing something in her diet??? He anyone ever had the pleasure??? EW!

·
Registered
362 Posts
We had a dog growing up that would do this occasionally.  Talked to our vet and he recommended meat tenderizer added to his food.  I think it only works if he's eating his own poop, though.  Supposed to make the poop taste bad 8O Umm?  It did work for our dog and he quit eating other dog poop as well.  Cat poop was a different story, though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You know, Ive never seen any pups eating other dogs poo? HOW-EVER lol Whenever there are ANY dogs at the barn they just love love love the horses poop. I think it might be the oats in the poop? Im not sure, but I do know that any and every dog that goes to the barn, if they find their way to the manure pile they are in heaven.

They turn into little sneaks too, they wait until your not looking--- then run right over to it to romp and play in the poo... not fun when you get home either lol

Im not sure about others dogs poop, because i dont know about the bacteria in it (or possibly worms). I know ive never seen a dog get ill because of the horses poop-- and i mean i see them eat poop at my barn, at friends barns, at horse shows... pretty much anywhere there is horse poop there will be a dog eating it lol

I really hope my pup doesnt find his way to the poop when he goes out--- i dont want it to turn into a game (mom doesnt want me to have that, so if I get the poop I WIN! type of thing...)

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
Reese and Savannah both do this from time to time! Absolutley DISGUSTING!! we have a few dog in the neighborhood that leave gifts and the owners dont pick up, I have to really watch the girls now.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
southerngirls\";p=\"50953 said:
Reese and Savannah both do this from time to time! Absolutley DISGUSTING!! we have a few dog in the neighborhood that leave gifts and the owners dont pick up, I have to really watch the girls now.
I know that bugs me sooo bad when people are too lazy to pick their dog's waste up, and then it ends up being at someone elses expense!

·
Registered
663 Posts
The little dog that shows up in the videos I posted poops in our yard.  I found worms in his poop one day when Laila was sniffing at it.  I spoke to the owner and they said they didn't believe Cocoa had worms, so I made a trip to the vet and got enough wormer for ALL the dogs...... No more worms and I pick up all the poop with a pooper scooper every other day or so.  Laila has tried to eat Bo's poop before and I said BAD DOG.. She walked away.  I don't want poopy puppy kisses.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
[quote="Mom2BoNLaila\";p=\"50961":2ylp0f30]The little dog that shows up in the videos I posted poops in our yard.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Duke does this every so often also, I don't know if he is eating his poop or Tabs because it is in our yard and it is fenced so it should only be one of the two.  I about gag his breath, gross, he doesn't get kisses either.  I will try the some of the suggestions maybe it will work :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Man, I'm trying the pineapple thing.  I'm sick of Harvs digging through the 2 feet of snow for frozen poopy treats!!  And at this time of year, he's on his own for pottying ... I'm not going out in all that snow!   :bslame:   Actually he LOVES the snow and will play out there until he's called ... and it's COLD ... single digits.  He loves it.  

Anyway, thanks for the advice!

·
Registered
893 Posts
Delila ate rabbit poop when she was a little younger and ended up with coccidia, thank goodness she hasn't done it in a while.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My old dog Sheena, when we took her out to our land to run free, she would find the freshes cow poop, and roll in it, like got on her back and pushed herself into it. It was a horrific smell, than she'd come over and tried to get you to pet her.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Buckles love's to eat cat poop & she is told BAD NO CAT SH.. she knows it bad.  She's also gone in the litter box @ my in laws and had cat litter all over her face...she never did that again.  GROSS, who knows what's in it.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yeah our dogs try and do that too.  They come out of the room litter stuck to their face and you have to laugh cause they can't deny what they just did.  I did pretty much solve that problem with buying the littermaid electric cat box.  It's great.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Usually means there is undigested food that they smel in the feces or something is missing in there diet that they are trying to get. In the wild wolves and such eat other animal feces as a way to gain nuitrients and minerals not available in their own local diet.

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I asked the Vet about the missing nutrient part because that is what I heard.   Well she said it was not solely true.  I feed raw, and she said the stuff that is probablly leaving as waste is not that much of low grade fillers hence making the poop actually taste good an appealing.   Gross I know, hence what I was told to add pineapple or spinich to the diet because they make it less desireable and foul tasting to detur the dog from eating it.  Luckily she only did it for two weeks, but the grossest things ever!!!

·
Registered
412 Posts
[quote="HannaBanana\";p=\"69536":3n1tdlp9]I asked the Vet about the missing nutrient part because that is what I heard.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts