Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I got Carter Sat morning and he really dont eat that much. The vet told me 2 feed him twice a day. Leave the food down for 30 minutes then pick it up if he dont eat then oh well. ive been trying that and he really dont be eatting. he didnt eat at all today and I left the food down all day just to see if he will eat. But he has did the number 2 today 3 times and it been runny. Do u think there is something wrong with Carter? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Re: Eatting question

Sorry I did'nt see his birthday at first.  Maybe he is still getting used to his surrondings he looks healthy, give it a few more days and then maybe make a call to the vet.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts

did you change the brand of food from what he was eating?

·
Registered
270 Posts

Hi.....Boxers to have sentive digestive systems.  We use Canidea dry for ours...oh I have 2 Boxers.  Also, for added yummyness, I add a couple of spoon fulls of canned food to the dry and stir it up well. Both of ours love it!  I really can't offer any advice on what could be wrong with your pup......worms, new home, new food?????  I know there are many on this forum that will know better than I!  I wish you luck, and hope your pup starts eating!  Your new pup is sooo cute and looks really sweet!  Good luck!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

You can try adding a small spoonful of plain yogurt or cottage cheese to get his appetite going. When we brought savannah home she wouldnt eat. We dont do the whole "down for 30 min and pick up" our girls dont eat that way. We free feed and they eat two bowls a day. the way though i got savannah to eat was cottage cheese. Also has carter been checked for worms or anything? his poo may be runny because of that as well, along with if you switched food recently. Both of those dont make for a solid poo

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I brought him to the vet on monday(2 days after I got him) and he said he was healthy. I looked at his shot records from the pet store and it said he had the deworming done. I asked the ppl at the pet store if this was the food he has been eatting and they said yes they switch it up between to brands so I got one of the brands (Iams smart puppy) but I just started giving him some treats by Purina( Tiny T-Bone). Im so confused now...I dont want the lil guy to be sick. One more question Are puppies suppose to be hyper all the time cause just today hes been sleepin alot.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

puppies have bursts of excitement. They sleep ALOT though! dont worry if he sleeps more than he plays. right now he is a growing boy. As for the food i would switch to a better brand. not saying IAMS is bad, but there are some better quality foods out there. My Savannah at first wouldnt eat any food i put in front of her. i bought so many bags of different foods! Lord it was horrible. That is when i finally was so upset over it i posted a thread here. Once again cottage cheese was the answer given.  now personally i hate the stuff but once savannah got a taste for it i couldnt get herr to stop eating! Now i have weaned her down to no cottage cheese (unless i happen to be in a good mood at the store and pick some up) and she gets a spoonful of yogurt at night mixed with her food. She will eat with out the yogurt though. My best offer is to buy small bags of some different foods and see which one he likes he best. Also seriously try the cheese, you will have to wean him off it when he starts eating regualarly, but it is so worth it!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

thank you everyone for your input. I am going o try and switch to a different food for him. I was so nervous I was gonna let him sleep in the bed with me tonight...lol

·
Registered
111 Posts

Did the vet test a #2 sample?
When we brought Apollo home, he had diarrhea, he was placed on antibiotics.  
Also, about puppies being hyper...it took Apollo a while to get use to the new situation, and he slept a lot!  Sometimes sleep is what he wants over his food!
I believe Carter is sleeping because he is growing.

Hope he feels better soon and good luck with the puppy training!

Apollo born June 9th, 2007!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts

You might try putting some warm water in the food and letting it soak up a bit before offering it to him.  Also what everyone else said about adding a little bit of canned food, yogurt or cottage cheese is a good idea to entice him to eat.  He may be getting use to his new home, but I'd check with a vet to make sure there is nothing else wrong with him.  Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
270 Posts

I will tell ya....Boxers are the BEST cuddle bugs ever!  I WAS letting mine sleep with me, which I loved....but the getting up so early to let them out was killing me!  When they are in their crate, they sleep late....like to 7AM....is that late?!  It is ok if you want your pup to sleep with you!  I love mine to!  My boyfriend is a firefighter, so he when he works, he is gone for 24hrs. at a time.....I tend to let the pups sleep with me then!  I think you are on the right track to the food change....however, please keep in mind that it does take a few days for dogs' digestive tracks to be ok with the new food.  I'm sure you know it doesn't happen over night.....many times I wish it would though!  the gas....ugg!  wakes me from a dead sleep!  Again, I wish you the best of luck!

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

oh! chicken broth or beef broth!! that also works :D just enough to make the food moist and easier to eat. Also the kibble you have is it bigger chunks or smaller chunks? the girls will only eat kibble it if is small, med-big chunks they wont touch

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

now if I do the yogurt thing does it have to be plain? Cause I do have yogurt here at my house but it like the Strawberry-Banana kind...(the kind I eat)lol...Do you think I should wake him up tonight and take him for his walk or just let him sleep?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

southerngirls\";p=\"41437 said:
oh! chicken broth or beef broth!! that also works :D just enough to make the food moist and easier to eat. Also the kibble you have is it bigger chunks or smaller chunks? the girls will only eat kibble it if is small, med-big chunks they wont touch
They ae the smaller chunks

·
Registered
4,661 Posts

you want to make sure the yogurt is plain. i know- i have to buy special yogurt for the girls because i eat the flavored as well :D i believe the flavored has to many addatives and sugar and stuff. i honestly could be wrong-i forget why it had to be plain. someone here will know though-this is where I got the idea from!!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts