Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charlie has started to eat really fast.  I mean 2 cups in under a minute.  I have quit feeding him and Sadie at the same time but he still is inhaling his food.  I've got one of the balls that dispenses food but when I used it it took an hour for him to eat.  What tips ya got for slowing him down?  I am now feeding them in shifts.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Isn't there some kind of thing where you put a ball in the feeding bowl so they have to eat around it? Slows them down. :?

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I used to put one of Lola's big chew bones in her bowl.  It slowed her down a little because she had to work around it.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yep, putting a few obstacles in the bowl is the best way to slow them down as they've to eat around them.  Just make sure they're all big enough that your big greedy-guts won't inadvertently swallow one of them!

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah inhales her food so I put a squeaky toy that is round with a hole in the middle in her bowl.  Her mouth fits in the middle of the ring but she can only get a few bites of food at a time.  It has really slowed her down, thanks for the great tips never thought about putting something in her bowl.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
Chloe has always been a super fast eater so I bought this http://www.brake-fast.net/ and it worked awesome but since her skin problem we had to switch her back to stainless steel bowls with a coffee cup turned upside down.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
Lilly does the same thing, but only occasionally now.  Her vet told me to turn feeding time into a game and have her "hunt" for her food.  We stash a bit here and there throughout the house and tell her to get it.  I have her scent some of the food that I have stashed in my hand and she goes to work.  She loves the game (almost like hide and seek), she gets a full meal that isn't inhaled so fast that she ends up hurling, and it reinforces the new skill I'm teaching her (scenting and tracking).

I also recommend to clients who have dogs that inhale their food that way to put obstacles in the bowls or feed on a cookie sheet.  I tried to feed Lilly on a cookie sheet, but she pushed the food into a lump with her nose and inhaled it anyways.  So....A hunting we will go...A hunting we will go...LA LA LALALALA...A hunting we will go....

Lol!

Liz and Lilly

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Rick32\";p=\"11496 said:
My dog Trace dose the same thing only its with his water. Hell go so fast he gags sometimes
Jessie is the same way... she usually winds up throwing up the water too, especially if we go for a walk right after she drinks a lot of water!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Blue does that and I have found that out of the two options given on here, that the cookie sheet works the best.  Blue has still found a way to gulp down his food in a minute even with a ball or toy in the bowl.  The cookie sheet tends to spread the food out so he can't eat as much in each bite.

·
Registered
32 Posts
JessiesMom\";p=\"11546 said:
[quote="Rick32\";p=\"11496":8vkuf4bd]My dog Trace dose the same thing only its with his water. Hell go so fast he gags sometimes
Jessie is the same way... she usually winds up throwing up the water too, especially if we go for a walk right after she drinks a lot of water![/quote:8vkuf4bd]

Layla too! I have to give her small amounts of water.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts