Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I take carter outside he eats everything he finds....Little rocks, tree bark, and dirt...I meaneverything....What can I do? I yell leave it then he runs to anouther spot and does the same thing

·
Registered
45 Posts
What dog food are you feeding him? Is Carter actually eating or is he playing and  biting at things? He is still teething and maybe  the different textures feel good on his gums. If he's eating maybe he is'nt getting the right nutrients.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Just wanted to stop in an let you know that you are not alone! Sorry I don't have any advice for you... my lil boogers (12 wks) are in the same phase and I cannot get them to stop putting everything in their mouths!

Usually I have to pry their mouths open and remove what ever it is they've got in there... but like you said 2 seconds later they're at it again.  I've tried a stern "No" but it's like their memory doesn't last more than 5 seconds.  I'm terrified they are going to eat a rock and end up in the ER-

Looking forward to see what advice we can get from our experienced boxer mommies/daddies  :idea:

·
Registered
839 Posts
Harley does the same thing! He's 13 weeks, and LOVES rocks!!! Every time we go outside, he will find something in his mouth!!! He just puts them in his mouth plays with them!!! Consistency is the key. Usually, I tell Harley to "Leave it" in a stern voice, and he is getting to understand that he is not suposed to do that. If possible, take a ball outside with you, and when he goes to eat something he's not suposed to, replace the object you don't want him to have with one he can have (Ball, chew toy or something like that) Just a thought!

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
Sadie was the same way when she was that age...luckily it didn't last long and she grew out of it. Just make sure you watch him like a hawk when you are outside, that's really the only thing you can do to make sure that he doesn't swallow anything that could hurt him. So basically, be patient and he will eventually grow out of it...rocks are the scariest though, we have a gravel patch near our house  8O Glad it didn't last long!

How bout some updated pics of little Carter?!

·
Registered
7 Posts

Casper (left) is going to be 5 months on 12/14. Outside he is pretty good with not eating foriegn objects. But let me tell ya, in the house if it's not nailed down he will drag it around the house. Although he has gotten better, still can't trust him 100%. Frankie (right) did the same thing when she was that age and grew out of it. Although she has been getting into trouble since the puppy came home, we leave her out all the time for the most part. We had put our Christmas tree up the weekend of Thanksgiving and both of them played with it for a couple of days but once my wife had used bitter apple on it and sprayed their mouths to get a taste. They have not went near it again. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Just when you think they have outgrown eating junk they wind up doing something crazy.  Kane ate a sock the other day and I wouldn't have even known he did it except for the fact that he threw it up!  Crazy dog - can't imagine what possessed him to swallow a sock.   8O

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Lucy is the same way - She is eight months now and picks up leaves, rocks, sticks, you name it. I yell at her and she runs off and grabs something else! Little brat...

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
maybe spray the areas he loves to chomp stuff with bitter apple? Watch out for rocks..my bf's friends pit ate a rock and it was an expensive surgery to remove the blockage.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I don't know if it's just boxers that eat bizarre things, but they had one on E-Vet (Animal Planet) the other day that ate super glue and wound up having surgery because the glue hardened in it's stomach and caused a blockage.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I saw the E-vet where the dog ate the glue.  That was bad it was huge.  I will have to say my mini schnauzer eats everything also so it is not just boxer.  I actually thought Titan learned it from Emma but I guess not.  He is five months tomorrow and he has stopped it yet hopefully he will.  I do still have hope he will out grow it but Emma I have given up on nothing works for her.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Odin use to be like that... probably around the same age... wasn't as bad though. Kyrie is the one that will sit out in the yard and chew on ANYTHING... drives me crazy... lol

·
Registered
35 Posts
Harvey loves a good snack of horse poop!!  Makes me so irritated.  And who can forget the recent ingestion of baby wipes (out of the trash can) and an ear plug!  Silly boxers!

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
:roll: uhmm Isis is 6 and still does that..i go towards her and she runs to a spot 10 feet away haha its kind of funny..she doesnt eat the things anymore though jsut grabs them and chews them... 8O i thinks its a game and i jsut havent been informed of the rules hahaha

·
Registered
186 Posts
With Loki I tell him to drop it if it is something hard, but if its leaves or grass I let him eat it. I don't know if I should or not but every dog I have ever been around like to eat it. Gives them the ruffage taste I guess. But usually when i tell him to drop whatever he will.

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
alleyrlt\";p=\"56817 said:
Harvey loves a good snack of horse poop!!  Makes me so irritated.  And who can forget the recent ingestion of baby wipes (out of the trash can) and an ear plug!  Silly boxers!
Well...I guess I lied...the "rock" and hard thingy eating has stopped. But...Sadie did get into our garbage can the other day and was grabbing my makeup remover wipes and streaming them around the hall  8O

I'm glad the rock eating has stopped though, that was just scary!

·
Registered
738 Posts
What is this bitter apple spray stuff? And where can I get it? Also do you spray it directly into their mouths??

A co-worker of mine recommended a rosemary spray (that you can spray on furniture) to deter them from chewing... anyone heard of this and tried it?
I thought my 2 rugrats were chewing on a bone last night but when I looked closer it was the leg of the couch  :cry: ... and lets not even mention the Christmas tree! It's gotta look like the biggest chew toy to them or something?!?! As soon as I turn my back they are bobbing for ornaments  :lol:

Rebeka

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Bitter apple is a taste deterrent and training aid, I guess something like the rosemary spray. You could get bitter apple at Petsmart, Petco, places like that.

Edited to add: yes you can spray it directly in their mouths and on furniture etc..., whatever you don't want them chewing on. I spray it on my hand for them to get the scent, and then you could spray it in their mouth so they can get the taste of it, and then spray it wherever you don't want them chewing. That way if you spray the couch leg, the idea is that they will associate the scent with the horrid taste and not want to chew on it.  :wink:

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
Kiah picks up anything that is inside or outside, she usually doesn't eat it just picks it up.  Sometimes she will eat a leaf or two, but often just spits them out and grabs another.  She did eat a mouse at the dog park a couple weeks ago, yuk.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Charlie ate part of my pillowcase last December.  He was in his crate and one of my pillows had slid off the bed.  That was the only problem I've ever had with him.  Sadie, right when we got her, was a chewer.  She'll try to pick up mulch, leaves, rocks, anything.  Yesterday she'd found a dryer sheet.  Right when you think your house is doggy proof, she's find whatever you've overlooked!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts