Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my Lab mix (tabs) was shedding alot this year my mom suggested we give her one raw egg a day and that will help her coat.  And it did. My question is what is the benifit of giving eggs and is is safe for my boxer Duke?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I'm guessing its the protein that is good for them.

I dont know about raw eggs, but a lot of people will scramble an egg and mix it with the kibble.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I give mine scrambled eggs a couple times a week, no spices added, just scramble the eggs...I know Marq has given Samson raw when I;ve been gone as a treat...

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
scramble like I would make for my breakfast w/ a little milk.  or just take the egg and scramble it?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
[quote="DUKE01\";p=\"42219":32lwcipu]scramble like I would make for my breakfast w/ a little milk.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I don't know the safety issues with feeding raw eggs - I do know that raw feeders do it - shells and all, but their systems are gradually built up to be the correct acidic level to digest the harmful bacteria found in raw food.  Perhaps HannaBanana could answer this question for you.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
i don't add milk, just scramble the eggs, I use 3 large eggs and split between the 2 of them. No Western omelettes!! Lol...Course they would love it.... :)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just want to find easy ways to keep him healthy plus since he has had Demodex the spots on his back have cleared up but it looks like the hair hasn't grown back very well.  And the eggs really helped Tabs so I though maybe it would help Duke.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
I give scrambled and raw, shell and all. The shell is a great source of calcium.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well Duke is only 9 months old, does that make a difference?  I don't want to make him sick, he's my baby.

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I scramble for Kiah.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
start him off with a scrambled egg, see how he does, then go from there...Try the raw and see how he likes it as well....He should be fine at 9 mos, Watch his stools, that's a good indicator

·
Registered
8,155 Posts
I scrammbled eggs and cheese this am and mixed it with the kibble...

Here is the deal on Raw Eggs - (as quoted from post by Jess - Burning River Boxers with regards to raw Eggs)  

The whites contain avidin and the yolks contain biotin. . . From what I've learned, avidin is a protein that binds biotin, making it unusable to the body. There is some thought that if feeding eggs, you should feed the yolk and shell only, but I don't think that dogs separate out their whites from their yolks in the wild, so I feed one egg per week whole, with shell

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Like samsonsmom just said, start him off slow with the eggs. I don't give too many eggs. Maddie will maybe get 1 scrambled egg a week and a raw egg about twice a month. She loves the shell, but I think she enjoys cracking it open herself even more!

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Anytime you start addding extras into their food, what I do is adjust how much kibble I give, so just feed a bit less to make it balance out..He's still young and burns off a lot of energy, but a good eating plan will pay benefits later on.. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts