Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was a thread about eggs not too long ago, I've read through it several times and it had some good tips.  Oggie loves eggs, I've been making him 1 or 2 omelettes a week.  It just got me wondering if I should be concerned about cholesterol. Is 2 eggs twice a week too much?  I know myself I used to eat eggs every day, my cholesterol was a little high so I cut back to egg white omelettes.  Would egg white omelettes be beneficial (nutritonally speaking) for dogs?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Egg whites contains a protein called avidin, which inhibits the absorption of biotin, an essential vitamin, and leads to a deficiency. Fortunately, egg yolks are very rich in biotin, and counter the effects of avidin in the egg white.

Therefore its best to feed the whole egg to a dog.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Just want to add that the shell is very beneficial as well. It's a great source of calcium!  :)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nexu, that makes sense...although at what point are the positive benefits outweighed by the negative (cholesterol, fat, etc)?

Tootsie, I have heard that but I am nervous about feeding raw eggs.  Isn't there a risk of bacteria/disease?

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
[quote="sully\";p=\"49401":183dwoka]Tootsie, I have heard that but I am nervous about feeding raw eggs.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
I give mine eggs twice a week. Scrambled, nothing added, no spices, zippo....

·
Registered
381 Posts
sully who knows where exactly that point is but I often hear that 1-2 eggs per week is good.  Eggs are high in fat and high in cholesterol which is why people recommend you limit how many you give.  I don't know about dogs with high cholesterol but high fat diets can lead to pancreas problems down the road.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Current guidelines from an Bord Bia (Irish food Board) is that "an egg a day is ok!" (their cringey slogan, not mine!).  Obviously these guidelines are for humans, but I just wanted to point out that eggs are unfairly tarred with the "high fat, high cholesterol" brush.  The levels of saturated fat in your diet have a far greater effect on your cholesterol levels than the amount of naturally occurring cholesterol that you ingest (such as that in eggs).    And well over half the fat that's in eggs is unsaturated.

As stated on their website "Nutrition guidelines recommend that a healthy individual can have up to seven eggs a week and those on a cholesterol lowering diet can have four to six eggs a week."

So, enjoy your morning egg without worry, everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts