Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gisselle has had Elbow calluses since I adopted her. Does anyone know if there is a cream I can use to soften them up and eventually make them Smaller?

·
Registered
948 Posts
How do they get them?? Toby has never gotten one before...

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I have been reading they are more general in larger dogs and caused from sleeping on hard surfaces.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
You could try vitamin e oil. That might help. Maddie had them when I got her, but they have gotten a lot smaller in the 7 months that I've had her.
They get them from laying around a lot, especially on concrete or in a crate.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Calli had those pretty bad but they started around 5 years of age for her and just got a little worse as she aged.  We asked the vet about it and they said there really wasn't anything we could do about it.  Said a little plain lotion wouldn't hurt it but probably wouldn't do much.  Teaki is just showing a little sign of it and she is 6.  Ziggi (14 months) actually has it already so not sure what causes it.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Samson has terrible callouses on his elbows..And yes it is from laying on concrete...He was chained up outside for long periods of time, so that's how he got his..Plus the chain marks around his feet... :(

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have a big plush bed in Toby's crate.. I hope he doesn't get them! I usually make him lay in grass under a tree if we're outside than in the gazebo..

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm not sure getting rid of calluses is the best thing. Its our bodies way of protecting our skin from being damaged by a repetitive movement, for example, laying down on the elbows. Those calluses are actually protecting our dogs from hurting themselves. Sure, they look ugly, as they do on humans but in a sense we need them and they need them. Ever felt a guitar players finger tips? They're hard as rocks. But if you ask him what it was like when he first started playing, he might tell you his finger tips hurt a lot. But overtime his body formed a layer of protection, so now it doesn't hurt anymore.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Might I add that they usually fade after the action that caused them is stopped for a long period of time. My sister played the upright bass for a few years and developed calluses. She hasn't played now for 5 years and they're gone so they only thing that might make em go away is to stop them from laying on the elbows...which is nearly impossible.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't care if they go away or not, but they are very dry and they are cracking so I just want to make them a little softer. Samsonsmom, Gisselle was chained up previously before I got her also :cry:  she has marks on her legs and feet also. Its so sad  how people treat thier pets.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I have pad cream (but its almost like wax) that I put on Toby's feet when his pads are cracked.. I don't know if it would work for that purpose as well?? You can look up dog pad wax.. I forget what its called..

·
Registered
245 Posts
If you can't find the stuff Flutterby is talking about then maybe just a thick greasy moisturizing cream. I use to use a good cream from Cetaphil. It came in a little tub and is made for those with sensitive skin so I'm guessing it won't irritate her skin. Maybe some vaseline....that's extra moisturizing.

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
Samson's haven't cracked or anything, it just looks bad and makes me sad to think about what happened to him...A thick moisturizer, with a vaseline base would probably work very well..Works good on my hands when they get extra dry..Give Gisselle a big hug for me and Samson says he wants to give her a kiss..Says he sympathizes with her.... :)

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just wrote in on another thread regarding the scaly skin devoid of fur on Zoe's elbows. I guess they could be calluses! I was worried that she might be getting mange. But she doesn't have any mites or fleas - though she has been losing hair. The vet says it's due to the heat and has asked me to apply potassium permanganate there and give her prednisolone tablets orally.

But the elbow calluses have me worked up. Yes, she has stopped sleeping on her mattress completely, over the past three months, because of the heat this summer and prefers to lay on the tiled floor. So perhaps that's another reason why the elbows have lost fur and have developed calluses... Just worried.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts