Boxer Breed Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do many of you use elevated food and water bowls? I have read that they "help" against bloat, but wanted to check here.

·
Registered
5,692 Posts
i use one...and i can only say this...we have Isis our white deaf 6 year old boxer and Onyx our 6 yr old black lab and before having the bowl...they both would throw up a few times a week...our LAB more !

since having the bowl...DOESNT happen at all ...i mean our lab would do this in the middle of the night...during the day didnt matter but it was ALOT and projectile..was gross when u were asleep lol

so i have to attribute it to the raised food bowl...b/c nothing else has changed...switched foods but a year later...

·
Registered
882 Posts
I use the elevated bowls for Gaby as well, and never had any bloating issues :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
I use one with my dogs.  I mainly got it for Dixie because she is getting into her golden years and I thought it would be easier on her.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
I just bought one today for Maple, mostly 'cause she is still young and when she eats she gobbles her food very fast and gets hickups right after and as she is finishing her food she starts to burp up pretty bad, the vet suggested raising the bowl to see if it helps, so we'll see if it does :)  they have them at ikea for $5.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Mine have elevated ones.  Truthfully I just thought it would be more comfortable.  :D

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
I wondered if it was helpful or not. I wanted to get Phoenix one too because it seems uncomfortable eating that low and thought it would slow her down from gulping down her food.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
To slow down eating, you can put a large rock or ball or soup can in the bowl so that they have to move it around to get to the kibble, or you can feed them on a cookie sheet.  Before the Purdue research showed the increased risk of bloat we used a raised feeder and it didn't slow down our chow-hound one iota. :)

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
ground level for my two but we also use cups inside their bowls to slow them down or else they inhale their food.

·
Registered
441 Posts
We use elevated feeders for food and water....we used to feed ground level and when baxter drank water he would just lap it out onto the floor...it was constantly a lake! with the elevated water, he just drips water as he walks away:)

·
Registered
11,429 Posts
I put something in Kiah's bowl to slow her down.

·
Registered
362 Posts
I use them for Cooper.  But they are leftovers from my greyhound.  Watching him eat out of them compared to eating on the ground when we're on a trip makes me want to carry the stand with me (which I would have to do with my greyhound).

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I have elevated feeders for mine too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts